Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using and trusting? Tesla safety systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use all the safety systems of my M3LR I purchased in April 2019. But here is the kicker, I do NOT trust any of them. My philosophy is that I will use any and all features that make me a better driver. I know no system is perfect, and neither am I. I always keep my hand on the wheel even though I may not be actively driving at the moment. And I keep my eyes on the road.
I read where folks are saying they will not use features because they are not perfect. Guess what? They NEVER will be. Use but monitor. That is the way to go. If it helps you to be a better driver but still screws up once in a while, it still is better than no help. In my four months of driving I have pretty well figured out when my system will cause me problems and I am always super attentive on those occasions. Does it still surprise me at times? You bet. But I still REALLY like it. Instead of being afraid of the systems use them first with no traffic around then slowly introduce more traffic and more situations. Pretty soon you will use them all the time.

Reactions: warren_ja
I think a lot of folks will be putting the "trust" to the test when stoplight/stop sign detection shows up.

"Wait, wait, wait, it will work, just wait, wait, wait for it, oh crap, stop Tessie stop, hard braking." or "ok, look at that, Tessie saw the red light but now we are slowing down too quickly and folks behind me are getting annoyed." and then, "ok, Tessie, the light is green, no wait, it is yellow, we are not gonna make it Tessie!" followed by, "Tessie, during a yellow light we have to make a split second decision to go or not go based on road conditions and other factors. It was a good thing I was here to help you." ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Ramona48
You're not supposed to "trust" the system at all.

That's why you're supposed to keep hands on wheel, prepared to take full control at any time.

When they announce any aspect of the system is L3 or higher you can start to worry about trust, as that's when you no longer have to be actively paying attention to it.

You're not supposed to "trust" the system at all.

That's why you're supposed to keep hands on wheel, prepared to take full control at any time.

When they announce any aspect of the system is L3 or higher you can start to worry about trust, as that's when you no longer have to be actively paying attention to it.

That is the problem. The concern is there will be accidents as a result of folks testing and blindly trusting stoplight detection.

Reactions: Msjulie
Yep. Not supposed to trust them.
You’re supposed to drive well enough to not need them unless it’s a critical emergency.
Even then they are there to mitigate the impact not prevent them.
In other words they're there to save lives not repair bills.

As a retired pilot, not trusting any system, gadget, or software is always a given on every flight. Machines are not perfect, nor are the people that design and build them. The systems can and do lighten pilot workload, and make flying safer when they work, and they work most of the time, so don’t be afraid to use them, but never completely trust them.

I love flying, and I love aircraft, and I love the tech that goes into aircraft systems, but I also know if I get complacent they can kill me.

I liken it to dancing with a beautiful vampire. It is a very enjoyable experience, but better pay close attention always - she/he (depending on your preference) could bite you in the neck at any time!