Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Android Apps with Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have an M3 yet, but I'm trying to understand how it would work with my Android phone. I know Tesla doesn't offer Android Auto, but does offer bluetooth pairing for phone calls and audio. Although I like Google Maps and Waze, I guess the navigation built in to Tesla should be comparable and benefit from the large display. I'm sure it must handle phone calls properly.

Its the audio apps I'm worried about. On my present car I use Android Auto directly on the phone with a dash mount. It supports a variety of audio apps. I do audiobooks, podcasts, radio stations, etc. Android auto presents them with graphics and touch controls that are appropriate for a car display. One of the apps, Castbox even lets you switch between different players and exposes the appropriate controls, progress bars, title selections,etc).

On the M3 would I be stuck again having to mount the phone and control the apps from there, rather than from the Tesla display? (I'm not inclined to get the upgraded interior with the fancier console, so it would mean a vent mount).

Your Android phone will provide audio and function as a phone.
The app also provides the ability to control some of the audio function, as a back seat passenger.
None of the other integrate Google or Apple auto features are implemented.

The GPS on the car is the best GPS application on a car that I have ever seen. And you can also send a destination from the phone to the car.

The standard interior comes with standard maps and navigation. Does this have the traffic info thats built into Google Maps and Waze or does it take another $10K for premium interior to get traffic info? I wonder if I would have to use the phones display for that too.

The only thing the M3 browser is really good for (at this point) is Waze for road alerts.
I used to use Radar to check for rain/snow events, but that stopped working reliably after the last update.. probably get better next release or so.
qTesla

I don't have an M3 yet, but I'm trying to understand how it would work with my Android phone. I know Tesla doesn't offer Android Auto, but does offer bluetooth pairing for phone calls and audio. Although I like Google Maps and Waze, I guess the navigation built in to Tesla should be comparable and benefit from the large display. I'm sure it must handle phone calls properly.

Its the audio apps I'm worried about. On my present car I use Android Auto directly on the phone with a dash mount. It supports a variety of audio apps. I do audiobooks, podcasts, radio stations, etc. Android auto presents them with graphics and touch controls that are appropriate for a car display. One of the apps, Castbox even lets you switch between different players and exposes the appropriate controls, progress bars, title selections,etc).

On the M3 would I be stuck again having to mount the phone and control the apps from there, rather than from the Tesla display? (I'm not inclined to get the upgraded interior with the fancier console, so it would mean a vent mount).

A few days ago I was sitting in my M3 MR fiddling with the screen and suddenly my phone rang in my pocket and through the car speakers both! Startled the hell out of me. First time I had gotten a call in a car.

And it was LOUD :)

I said hello and the person heard me just fine and I heard them great. I don't know where the microphone is but the system really works well.

My phone was not on and was in my pocket ( well they are always on to a certain point ). It doesn't have to be in the phone holders in the console.