Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using AP1 in stop/go traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the (UK) order list for a model3 but delivery will be at least another 18 months so I've decided to get a used model S. I have found an 85kw 2014 with AP1, air suspension and tech spec. My question may be a naive one: can AP1 be used at very low speed - can it track the car ahead in stop/go crawl situations so common on my city commute?

Thanks
Andrew

It's awesome in that situation. Realized it for the first time about 3 months after I got my 2015 P90D after I got stuck in a traffic jam in Chicago. When in stop and go traffic it doesn't even ask you to keep your hands on the wheel so for 45 minutes I caught up on emails and texts. I am generally a major Type A driver and this jam didn't affect me one bit :)

Yes! I use it that way at every opportunity. It is one of the best features of the car. You can vary the distance/time between you and the car in front of you. This will adjust the way it reacts to cars trying to merge in front of you / leaving your lane and you can change this while AP is active.

agree with all the other posters it does it very well.. The car in front will be locked on in blue...
Now the 1 negative.. people will merge in and cut you off because you are following a bit further behind.. atleast in Texas...

Reactions: Qbenjamin
I have an AP1 car, and it's been excellent in stop and go. If I keep the distance on 1 in heavy traffic it basically behaves like the other cars on the road in terms of following distance, at least in the DC area. It does brake a little early when the car ahead slows, but I think it needs to since it can't see ahead multiple cars to detect slower traffic ahead.

I have a supplemental question for all you AP1 experts..... is the software aware of speed limits? If I enable it in a city situation is it smart enough to know that I'm in a 30 zone or do you have to set a desired speed every time?
Thanks
Andrew

I have a supplemental question for all you AP1 experts..... is the software aware of speed limits? If I enable it in a city situation is it smart enough to know that I'm in a 30 zone or do you have to set a desired speed every time?
Thanks
Andrew
It will read speed limit signs in the U.S.A. Not sure about elsewhere.
That said, it will not adjust speed by itself normally. On secondary roads it will limit itself, in the U.S.A., to 5mph over the speed limit (as far as I recall).

I do use it regularly in stop-and-go traffic here in the North, but a couple of UK caveats for the OP.
It does not account well for parked cars, and of course, does not do roundabouts.
I actually prefer just using the TACC (cruise control) - that way I have a bit more freedom with my hands and just give it the occasional low speed steering adjustment.

I’ve had mixed luck with reading speed signs. There’s a place near my work with a sign that says 25 mph and 40 km/hr. It interprets that as 40 mph. One of the highways I’m on regularly it gets as 45 mph instead of 55 mph

Apologies if this is a hijack but will AP 2 also do this as well as AP1?

Did you bring a titanium bumbershoot?

Generally speaking, across a wide variety of use cases, no, AP2 is not as good as AP1. Not yet - but the potential is there.

If in the one use case of blinding rain, sideways snow, or other significantly limited visibility with poorly-marked lanes, then AP2 exceeds AP1.

If you’ve never driven with AP1, you’ll probably be happy with AP2.

And neither AP1 nor AP2 are sufficient in (lots of) other scenarios.

But in 2-3 years, Elon expects FSD so it’s just a matter of getting from now until then.

I believe the most reasonable way to do that is with a CPO AP1 car. But if you get a good deal for an AP2 car or plan on a Model 3, then great.

Just plan on upgrading in 2-3 years because Good Things are coming.

Now with the chill function, the AP1 has gotten better in my opinion

Tried Chill mode today in less than 100 miles of largely miserable, often stop and go traffic. It was impressive. Have to remember the thread in which someone recommended trying it with stop and go (for they deserve a “Helpful”). TACC was already worth the price of the car - but Chill does take the rough edges off here and there. That was Chill with steering in Sport mode. Will try it next with different steering modes to see if it gets even smoother under different conditions.

Last edited:
AP1 is great in stop and go, or slow and go traffic. HOWEVER it does use a large following distance (even when set at the closest setting). Such a large following distance that it invites lots of folks to cut in front of you. Very difficult to put up with at times.