Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Apple Lightning to USB 3 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to use the Apple Lightning to USB 3 adapter to transfer SentryCam videos to my iPhone, but even with a USB-C to Lightning charging cable connected in my 2021 Model S, I get the "This accessory requires too much power." message. Anybody else see this, or better yet, have a fix?

USB C spec states a minimum of 3 amps and a maximum of 5 amps. I doubt the Tesla USB C connection can actually supply even the minimum 3 amps considering there is more than one in the car and the combined potential is too great. I have always felt that the older Tesla USB 2 ports in my MS are underpowered, and I suspect the Tesla USB is just an old style USB port with a USB C plug.

Power requirements not withstanding, is this transfer feature even available? Perhaps things have changed but don't you need some external USB storage device to even record sentry vids? I guess I am not clear as to what you wish to do.

I unplug the USB drive that is capturing Dashcam footage and connect it to my phone to copy the videos over. I'm just using the USB-C port in the car for power in this case.
I see, makes sense. Lots of posts about the finicky USB C ports in Teslas. From what I learned the ports do have the power to charge larger devices so I was wrong about that. The problem seems to be with specific devices and cables, mostly the cheaper knock-offs. Not sure what to suggest on this one since you are using an Apple adapter, generally considered the "Gold Standard" and certainly not cheap or or a knock-off. I use an external SATA to USB 256GB SSD drive which fits under the console. I have resigned myself to using the terrible, slow-as-hell, featureless in car viewer, and in that case the SATA SSD drives tend to be the fastest solution. If I want to transfer the files I unplug it and connect it to my Mac, but I realize that is not your goal. Good luck!