Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Autopilot in Los Angeles and nearby cities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t usually use Autopilot, but this is mostly because my job “currently” allows me to work from home. Otherwise, I would normally drive 35 miles (mostly freeway miles) to Downtown LA....and 35 miles back home (La Verne).

I noticed (about 3-4 months ago) that the 60 freeway (going west of the 605 freeway) was being worked-on, causing the driving lanes to be repainted in a slightly-more swerving manner. In fact, I had a little difficulty trying to determine the correct painted lanes, as some lanes were slightly crossing over previously painted lanes. I could stay in my lane, but it was tricky...and I saw other cars having a tough time staying in their lanes.

just wondering how Autopilot would respond to these types of elements of driving on roads/freeways..

Perhaps there are some current members who make this trek on a normal basis and can shed some light via first-hand experience.

Reactions: Sixth
Its probably better than you are. Try it and see for yourself.

I'm in the Bay Area with patchy roads and faded line markings. Heading home after work in fall means I'm blinded with the sun directly in my eyes, but autopilot is able to maintain its lane reliably. I try to space myself away from other cars because things can get confusing (like 101 & 85 exchange).

I don’t usually use Autopilot, but this is mostly because my job “currently” allows me to work from home. Otherwise, I would normally drive 35 miles (mostly freeway miles) to Downtown LA....and 35 miles back home (La Verne).

I noticed (about 3-4 months ago) that the 60 freeway (going west of the 605 freeway) was being worked-on, causing the driving lanes to be repainted in a slightly-more swerving manner. In fact, I had a little difficulty trying to determine the correct painted lanes, as some lanes were slightly crossing over previously painted lanes. I could stay in my lane, but it was tricky...and I saw other cars having a tough time staying in their lanes.

just wondering how Autopilot would respond to these types of elements of driving on roads/freeways..

Perhaps there are some current members who make this trek on a normal basis and can shed some light via first-hand experience.

Reactions: X-pilot
I tried using Navigate on Autopilot today...and scared the bejeezers out of me.

my car was going up the street to my house (2 lanes each way). As I come around a slight bend the MY detects a garbage truck in the right-hand lane (which we are in). The garbage truck is stopped and moved over enough (on right side of road) for MY to go around it by hugging the left side of the right-hand lane. But, instead it slows down suddenly almost to a stop...before I took over and drove right past the garbage truck. Scared me and my wife as the car’s braking was very sudden.

there were no cars to the left of me (left lane), so not sure why the MY didn’t change lanes or slightly swerve around the garbage truck.

Is that normal?

I tried using Navigate on Autopilot today...and scared the bejeezers out of me.

my car was going up the street to my house (2 lanes each way). As I come around a slight bend the MY detects a garbage truck in the right-hand lane (which we are in). The garbage truck is stopped and moved over enough (on right side of road) for MY to go around it by hugging the left side of the right-hand lane. But, instead it slows down suddenly almost to a stop...before I took over and drove right past the garbage truck. Scared me and my wife as the car’s braking was very sudden.

there were no cars to the left of me (left lane), so not sure why the MY didn’t change lanes or slightly swerve around the garbage truck.

Is that normal?
Yes, FSD is not implemented fully. It's basically adaptive cruise control with a bit more functionality to avoid collisions etc.

BTW: Navigate on Autopilot is only working on freeways. Anywhere else it is just Autopilot.

I guess you are confused by Tesla's marketing (and I don't blame you for that)...

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

I’m in Sacramento and recently, the lines on Interstate 5 were re-aligned to add more lanes, but the residue from the old lines are still faint and are really visible when sunlight hits them. My EAP freaked out each time we reached that area to the point that just started manually driving when getting to that area cause the cameras were getting really confused and swerving.

I’m in Sacramento and recently, the lines on Interstate 5 were re-aligned to add more lanes, but the residue from the old lines are still faint and are really visible when sunlight hits them. My EAP freaked out each time we reached that area to the point that just started manually driving when getting to that area cause the cameras were getting really confused and swerving.

...and this is exactly what I am worried about. Not to the point of not using FSD (EAP, NOA), but...it does cause me concern.

Reactions: El joe
I've used Auto-Steer (EAP) in construction zones and it usually works pretty well. By that I mean it keeps the car dead-center in the (narrower) lanes. And that's the rub, as most other cars don't stay dead-center in their lanes. In particular, big rigs tend to encroach over the lane lines. When than happens when I'm driving, I'll ease my car over a bit so as not to get rolled up on by some monster tires. But AP says, 'nooooo, I'll stay right here in the middle of my lane'.

So, I won't use EAP in construction zones.

Reactions: El joe
But AP says, 'nooooo, I'll stay right here in the middle of my lane'.

Yeah. My Tesla centered itself on the right lane instead of hugging the left side of the right lane, which is what caused it to suddenly stop. (See pic below for view of street)

Attachments

• 7576B89A-E3B4-4CA2-A7CB-98C6F59AB048.jpeg
    7576B89A-E3B4-4CA2-A7CB-98C6F59AB048.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 68