Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using average KWh per mile used for display of projected range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
We currently have two settings for the projected range display - rated and ideal.

The rated is based on the government ratings using standardized tests - which usually doesn't reflect how people are actually driving their vehicles.

What would be more useful is to display the projected range based on the average energy consumption of the vehicle - which takes into account the driver's habits and typical driving speeds/conditions.

Surely Tesla is keeping track of the accumulated energy used and miles driven for a vehicle - and could use that to provide this information.

• Informative
Reactions: Gjawhar
I'm talking about the battery display on the dashboard - using the historical average for estimating the current range, based on the battery charge.

While the 5, 15 or 30 mile display shows the range based on most recent driving, using the historical average for estimated range should be a little more accurate than the rated range - which is usually higher than the actual range (based on the historical average) for most vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
I'm talking about the battery display on the dashboard - using the historical average for estimating the current range, based on the battery charge.

While the 5, 15 or 30 mile display shows the range based on most recent driving, using the historical average for estimated range should be a little more accurate than the rated range - which is usually higher than the actual range (based on the historical average) for most vehicles.

I use the trips display for this purpose. I've kept Trip B untouched since I bought the car and so have my lifetime wH/mi information (~297wH/mi). It's not too hard to use that and project how much range I have left while driving.

I for one definitely don't want a guess-o-meter in the instrument cluster. Rated range is far more useful to me than what the car thinks based on events that have already passed. The energy app already does what you want, offering projections for times when that may be useful.

Reactions: TexasEV and Rocky_H