TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Using CCS chargers

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aegidius, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

If only we could get those here, and for the Model 3

2. aegidius

aegidius Member

Looks like (from the footnote) new Model S and X made from 1 Feb. will come with the adapter. No mention yet of when/if the adapter can be bought separately.

3. Icey

Icey Member

That’s now been updated to they will not receive the adapter. It was a mistake according to Tesla

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The FAQ said it would cost about the same as the CHAdeMO adapter.

5. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Ouch! So I will never end up buying it. I'll have to join a rental club when they come to the US

6. aegidius

aegidius Member

Given the choice of CCS vs Chademo adapters at the same price, I'd go for CCS - there will be more of them in the future, and at higher power.

• Like x 1
  7. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Not to mention the CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kw where as the CCS2 adapter will support the max charge rate of the car (at this moment, 120kw).

• Like x 1
  8. miimura

miimura Active Member

People have seen a prototype CHAdeMO adapter charging Tesla a vehicle in Japan on a prototype CHAdeMO charger at much greater than 50kW. CCS will probably not be the only "high power" Tesla adapter.

• Like x 1
  9. possum22

possum22 Member

It would good in the future that Tesla offered a firmware upgrade to 100 kW on current CHAdeMO adapters.

10. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

U
    Unfortunately that's not possible, the sticker on the adapter says it's rated to 400V @ 125A, which is 50kw. They would need to upgrade the internals of the adapter to support anything higher.

• Like x 1
  11. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Or at least the sticker. :)

I don't think I've seen any information about why it is limited to that output. There might be limiting hardware there, or it might simply be the max CHAdeMO was capable of at the time of design.