Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using CCS chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U

Unfortunately that's not possible, the sticker on the adapter says it's rated to 400V @ 125A, which is 50kw. They would need to upgrade the internals of the adapter to support anything higher.

Or at least the sticker. :)

I don't think I've seen any information about why it is limited to that output. There might be limiting hardware there, or it might simply be the max CHAdeMO was capable of at the time of design.

8AD8DD6B-BA41-4DF6-B140-EFD047694936.jpeg
talking about CCS. I came across this last week at Yarrabilba in Qld. Not model 3 friendly. A trap in PlugShare - have updated it. CCS SAE 1

I never knew such a mutation existed. I guess you could still use the AC part with a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor.
What Vedaprime posted is what we have in the US (SAE Combo aka Combo1 flavor of CCS).

EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc under "DC Fast charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger, China" has a visual aid of Combo1 vs. Combo2. BTW, some of us like to refer to CCS as Frankenplug. :)

Meanwhile... CHAdeMO is a world standard. The plug's the same everywhere in the world.

We don't have Combo2 here nor do we have Mennekes Type 2 for AC charging. J1772 is the industry standard here for L1 and L2 AC charging (120 (actually 100) to 240 volts).

Last edited:
I never knew such a mutation existed. I guess you could still use the AC part with a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor.

I have a Type 1 to type 2 adapter. It wouldn’t fit in because there was no gap between AC and DC portion for an outer sleeve to fit over. Hard to see in photo. I found out later even if it was the right shape, no power transfers, just signalling in the J1772 portion.

(BMW I3 pre 2018 uses CCS SAE combo 1 as far as I know. Not sure if there is anything else)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Vostok
View attachment 499920
talking about CCS. I came across this last week at Yarrabilba in Qld. Not model 3 friendly. A trap in PlugShare - have updated it. CCS SAE 1
Some early DC chargers were equipped with CCS1 as the Governments at all levels appear uninterested in passing legislation to establish a standard for charging. The first production EVs were the Leaf and iMiev which had J1772 (Type1) AC charging and CHAdeMO DC charging. Tesla arrived with Model S and the Mennekes (Type2) that also did double duty for DC Supercharging using longer pins.
That left the Europeans with a quandary of which standard to adopt. They chose to go with J1772 (Type 1) AC charging and matching CCS 1 for DC charging. The only car that I am aware of that was fitted with CCS1 DC charging was early BMW i3’s.
When WA and QLD started to roll out their first DC quick chargers, they were equipped with Twin cables, CHAdeMO and CCS1 as that “appeared “ to be the adopted standard.
Finally the MTA “Recommended” that all Manufactures adopts Type 2 for AC and CHAdeMO and CCS2 for DC.
Since that time all manufacturers have moved to Type 2 for AC charging and either CHAdeMO or CCS2 for DC quick charging.
So incredibly there is still no legislated standard and we still have some legacy public chargers that are not compatible with the vast majority of cars on the roads here, necessitating adapters or causing inconvenience such as experienced above.
Australia is almost the model of how not to introduce a charging standard, but things are moving in the right direction.
I just feel sorry for early Australian i3 owners who’s cars will never be DC quick charging compatible without modifications. Modification that BMW New Zealand provided for free but I understand BMW Australia have ignored.

What Vedaprime posted is what we have in the US (SAE Combo aka Combo1 flavor of CCS).
You have our sincere condolences...

BTW, some of us like to refer to CCS as Frankenplug. :)
I have heard that term being used before, but there are benefits to the CCS2 design in that a single “port” on the car supports both AC and DC charging, and the DC charging part supports up to 500 kW. You need physically large connector pins to cope with currents of 500 Amps, not convinced the US modified Mennekes connector would be capable of that. So the US Tesla-specific design may reach a dead end.

Nissan LEAFs here came standard with two separate ports - CHAdeMO and J-1772. The fact that fast DC charging was a paid optional extra in LEAFs elsewhere in the world highlights one of the limitations of CHAdeMO.

Meanwhile... CHAdeMO is a world standard. The plug's the same everywhere in the world.
Ha ha... that’s very funny. So is CCS2 - the plug’s the same everywhere :)

Luckily, CHAdeMO is a “world standard“ that is rapidly fading and will die out everywhere except Japan.