TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Using ChargePoint at BMW dealership

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by karupspc, Jan 7, 2017.

1. karupspc

karupspc Member

Hello all

I'm currently moving soon where the garage 240v outlet won't be ready in time of move-in so I've been scoping out the area and there's 2 Chargepoint stations at a BMW dealership down the road that's Level 2 -J1772 and Level 2 -Tesla. Both charging stations listed as free on ChargePoint website just curious if anyone has charged at a dealership and since it has J1772 I should be able to charge correct?

Not seeking to siphon free charges just something to get by until the 240 outlet is installed.

2. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Your BMW dealership has a Tesla specific charger? I'm surprised.

Yes, you can charge your Tesla with the J1772, but it's likely only 20-30A.

As far as if they'll let you - just ask. They may only allow i3s to charge there, or they may be open to anyone charging there. All it takes is a few minute conversation to find out.

3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Did you check it out on plugshare???

4. karupspc

karupspc Member

Yup. Plugscore is 9.0
    Comment: ChargePoint J1772. 7KW charging on 4 working free with ChargePoint. Each station shares 7kw between the 2 plugs.

5. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

I have charged a number of times with my Leaf and a few times with my X at the BMW dealer's Chargepoint station in McKinleyville, CA. You need your Chargepoint card at my local station, and plugging in with Tesla's j1772 adapter should work just fine. The BMW manager and staff here are friendly and interested in other electrics. You might engage the staff there in conversation about the i3, i8, or their new autopilot features.

6. busaman

busaman Member

i have a chargepoint in my garage 32a which was put in for my previous car BMW I3 and it charges my model s works 100% with no changes or modifications needed.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The issue isn't whether it works. It's whether the charging station at a BMW dealership will be ICEd.

8. busaman

busaman Member

the only way to find out is to visit the site. here in the uk in my expierience it will be vacant.

9. davewill

davewill Member

In the U.S. car dealerships are independent. The only way to know whether you can use it is to ask since what happened at a different dealer is no indicator what this one will say.