Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ChargePoint Home Flex for home charging.

diamonds2

Mar 16, 2019
Las Vegas
I have been using the standard home charger (240 volt service) flawlessly for the last 4 years to charge my MS. I just purchased a Volvo XC40 Recharge as a second vehicle. Volvo is giving me a free ChargePoint Home Flex (I have to pay for the install). I know I'll need to use the J1772 adapter for my MS.

My question is: is there any downside using the J1772 adaptor as oppose to the native Tesla home charger that came with the car?

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
The Tesla wall charger might be able to charge your car faster than a generic charger, but if you usually leave the car plugged in all night, that shouldn't make a difference.

jrweiss98020

Tessa's Tesla
Jan 9, 2020
Edmonds, WA
I just got a Chargepoint CPH50. Upside is it charges at 40A, vs 32A for the mobile charge cord on my 14-50 outlet. Downside is I have to open/unlock the charge port manually, instead of using the button on the Tesla plug.

Reactions: oktane

adspguy

Dec 1, 2016
Bedford MA
I also have the Chargepoint home flex. I got this due to a $300 kickback from my power provider. I got the version that plugs in to the 14-50 socket. Works great with my S and charges as 40A.

Reactions: smilepak

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
I was thinking of the same. I have a 14-50 outlet and a 6-50 outlet. Wonder if the plug can be replaced if I decided one or the other over time.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
I was thinking of the same. I have a 14-50 outlet and a 6-50 outlet. Wonder if the plug can be replaced if I decided one or the other over time.
You could make a 14-50 into a 6-50 easily by abandoning the neutral. Going the other way would require running another conductor for the neutral if it wasn’t already there.

Reactions: smilepak

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC