Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ChargePoint Home Flex for home charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using the standard home charger (240 volt service) flawlessly for the last 4 years to charge my MS. I just purchased a Volvo XC40 Recharge as a second vehicle. Volvo is giving me a free ChargePoint Home Flex (I have to pay for the install). I know I'll need to use the J1772 adapter for my MS.

My question is: is there any downside using the J1772 adaptor as oppose to the native Tesla home charger that came with the car?

Need some help please. Just installed my ChargePoint home flex. 50amp/240v 14-50 plug. Any reason why my charge speed would be so low? I saw this with the Tesla Charger as well.
026D47F2-538F-4873-B4F2-F21F19A4AF24.jpeg

Need some help please. Just installed my ChargePoint home flex. 50amp/240v 14-50 plug. Any reason why my charge speed would be so low? I saw this with the Tesla Charger as well.View attachment 701029

So low? What were you expecting? 40 amps of charging on a 50 amp circuit is the best you’re going to get.

Why not the full 50 amps, you ask? Because a constant load like an EV must be limited to 80% of the circuit’s capacity.

Reactions: DavidB
I have a question about the Chargepoint and have the same set up as OP. Volvo "gave" me a Chargepoint with a new Volvo purchase. Chargepoint is set up and working fine in the Volvo. Through the CP app I have set the circuit to 50 AMPS (which it is). When charging the Volvo, it is working fine.

First time I charged my S, everything was fine and the Tesla app showed me 32 AMPS which was my expectation. No problem. However, since then, I am only getting 16 AMPS into the S according to the Tesla App and the on screen dashboard. The CP app continues to read fine at 50 AMPS but no matter what I do, the Tesla will not see higher than 16 AMPS. I've reset the circuit breaker as well. Would love to find the issue so I can get this fixed. Thanks so much.

I have a question about the Chargepoint and have the same set up as OP. Volvo "gave" me a Chargepoint with a new Volvo purchase. Chargepoint is set up and working fine in the Volvo. Through the CP app I have set the circuit to 50 AMPS (which it is). When charging the Volvo, it is working fine.

First time I charged my S, everything was fine and the Tesla app showed me 32 AMPS which was my expectation. No problem. However, since then, I am only getting 16 AMPS into the S according to the Tesla App and the on screen dashboard. The CP app continues to read fine at 50 AMPS but no matter what I do, the Tesla will not see higher than 16 AMPS. I've reset the circuit breaker as well. Would love to find the issue so I can get this fixed. Thanks so much.
The model S is more sensitive to voltage drops and will drop the current during charging. If that happens once, the car may be self-limiting to the lower current for future sessions. When it is charging, can you go to the charge screen and change it to the 40 setting? Is it saying 16/40 or 16/16 or something else? I was getting 32/40 for a short time when the local grid was running low, and later had to tell the S to charge at 40 again.

The model S is more sensitive to voltage drops and will drop the current during charging. If that happens once, the car may be self-limiting to the lower current for future sessions. When it is charging, can you go to the charge screen and change it to the 40 setting? Is it saying 16/40 or 16/16 or something else? I was getting 32/40 for a short time when the local grid was running low, and later had to tell the S to charge at 40 again.
Thanks so much for the info. It was saying 16/16 which is why I reset the breaker. I did not think about looking at the screen in the car. Will do that next time I am charging at the house (probably Friday) and report back. Appreciate the tip.

I reset the breaker and rebooted the CP (from the iOS app) to make sure I had a clean start for this morning. I paid special attention to the Tesla dash screen. Unlocked the charge port on the car and saw 80 AMPS as the most my S will accept. Plugged in the CP and the display box instantly dropped to 16. The "+" button is greyed so I can't raise the AMPS. I can reduce the AMPS below 16. I then tested the CP on the Volvo and it is charging at a rate which equals 32 AMPS. My next test will be at a public CP station to see what happens. Am grateful for any other suggestions. Thanks

When you go to the settings screen on your chargepoint app, does it show breaker amperage is 50A? The CP should be telling the car it can have up to 40A so your car should read 40/80 rather than the 16/80 you are seeing. Very strange. When you plug the S in, does it immediately say 16 and have the greyed out button, or does it start higher and go down to 16? It takes a few seconds to start charging when it is first plugged in, you should watch the sequence. The S is picky about voltage drops, when you plug it in what does it say the voltage is before the current ramps up to its final value? How much does it drop as the current ramps up? Does it ramp up to 40 and then down to 16? Is there any error message like "charging limited check cable?"

CP shows 50 AMPS in the app. I checked with CP support and they confirmed on their end they see 50 AMPS as the selection. Prior to inserting the charging cable, the S will show 80 from the charge screen. As soon as I plug the CP into the Tesla adapter I hear the click from the CP and then the click from the S. The click from the S is when the screen on the Tesla switches from 80 to 16. it never shows a drop. it is instant. Spoke with CP support and was told I'd get a "level 2" reply in the next day or so. they also wanted to confirm my address "in case" they need to send a new unit. Thanks

Please help out a newbie. I hope this question has not been asked ad-nauseum... We just picked up our MX, production date 8/2019. LOVE THIS CAR! I'd originally planned to buy a Mach E, but quickly changed my mind when I saw all the problems and after a few oily encounters with dealerships. Anyway, I bought a Charge Point Flex and had electrician install 240 outlet and 50A breaker. Our model X is only charging at 12miles/hour. While charging the app indicates 32/32. I know I could have gotten more if we'd had it hard wired, but was expecting greater miles/hour since this is a Level 2. Is this 12 miles/hour of charge what we should be expecting?

I just got a Chargepoint CPH50. Upside is it charges at 40A, vs 32A for the mobile charge cord on my 14-50 outlet. Downside is I have to open/unlock the charge port manually, instead of using the button on the Tesla plug.
Does model 3 have the tap-the-port-to-open feature like the Model S/X? There you just press on the port and it pops open as long as the car is unlocked at the time.

Please help out a newbie. I hope this question has not been asked ad-nauseum... We just picked up our MX, production date 8/2019. LOVE THIS CAR! I'd originally planned to buy a Mach E, but quickly changed my mind when I saw all the problems and after a few oily encounters with dealerships. Anyway, I bought a Charge Point Flex and had electrician install 240 outlet and 50A breaker. Our model X is only charging at 12miles/hour. While charging the app indicates 32/32. I know I could have gotten more if we'd had it hard wired, but was expecting greater miles/hour since this is a Level 2. Is this 12 miles/hour of charge what we should be expecting?
If the chargepoint was installed correctly you should be getting 40A which would be about 29 miles/hour. Even 32A should be over 20 miles/hour. What is the car reporting? Is there any error message saying charging is limited? Check on your chargepoint app under settings and see what it thinks the breaker size is, it should say 50A.

Reactions: popgodazipa