Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Compressed Air on the Charge Port & Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read anecdotal advice about using compressed air to clean out the charge port & the handle from the Tesla wall connector. It’s not to remove corrosion, but mostly to blow our dust and debris from the environment.

May I please confirm - is it safe to do so? Would doing so pose any harm to the Tesla or the Wall Connector?

I couldn’t find anything regarding this in the manual. Ironically, I read an iPhone manual and users are advised never to use compressed air on the charge port. It’s probably a reach to correlate the two, but thought it worth asking rather than just assuming.

Ty

I use a phtographer's blower brush to do the job. It has a rubber squeeze bulb to create a gentle flow of air and it has very fine bristles. It's the kind of brush photographers use to get dust off of camera lenses and couldn't possibly cause any damage to a Tesla's charge port. The problem with canned air, like Dust-Off is not only that the air comes out of the nozzle with some force, but there is also a refrigerant used to propel that air and if you aren't careful, some of that refrigerant may come out of the Dust-Off's nozzle and get into the charge port. Yes, it evaporates quickly, but still.....

Reactions: ACRei
I wouldn't think twice about hitting it with air from a compressor, but that's not official advice nor do I know of any.

I've had mine for 2 years and haven't felt the need to clean it out... and I park outside in rain, snow, and with trees in close proximity.

Do be cautious to not drop the EVSE connector head on the ground though, lest ye pick it up with a scoop of dirt inside.

Reactions: ACRei
I use a phtographer's blower brush to do the job. It has a rubber squeeze bulb to create a gentle flow of air and it has very fine bristles. It's the kind of brush photographers use to get dust off of camera lenses and couldn't possibly cause any damage to a Tesla's charge port. The problem with canned air, like Dust-Off is not only that the air comes out of the nozzle with some force, but there is also a refrigerant used to propel that air and if you aren't careful, some of that refrigerant may come out of the Dust-Off's nozzle and get into the charge port. Yes, it evaporates quickly, but still.....

I actually have one of those. Thank you for the idea 🙏🏽

I wouldn't think twice about hitting it with air from a compressor, but that's not official advice nor do I know of any.

I've had mine for 2 years and haven't felt the need to clean it out... and I park outside in rain, snow, and with trees in close proximity.

Do be cautious to not drop the EVSE connector head on the ground though, lest ye pick it up with a scoop of dirt inside.

I’m in the same situation - park outside, charge outside. There’s a light coating of dust and debris in the port, and that’s what created the question

Thank you for sharing