TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using Data in Mexico

Discussion in 'Model S' started by guidom, Mar 29, 2016.

1. guidom

guidom Member

Hi - has anybody gone south of the border in their Tesla yet? I live in San Diego, and often visit Baja. Yesterday I realized there's no data in Baja. Called Tesla and said they don't offer any possibilities for this. Does anybody have any way to get around this?

Thanks

2. raijin

raijin Member

I go south of the border many times and actually planning to go to Ensenada this weekend.

There is no way in hell would I bring my Tesla across. Don't want to be targeted as well as having *sugar* loads of people wanting to touch it since you'll be the novelty.

Would anybody bring a car that is worth more than 100K across into TJ or parts of like?

Don't think so.

• Like x 2
  3. asudan

asudan Member

Elon knows you shouldn't take your Tesla to Mexico. Why would you even consider such a thing? Now to answer your question - use your phone as a hotspot and connect to wifi through the car. If you have enough money to burn a Tesla in the desert then you have plenty to cover the roaming charges.

• Funny x 1
  4. guidom

guidom Member

Please stick to constructive comments. It's pretty common to bring high-end cars here, especially if you have Sentri. I know that there are a lot of affluent TJ residents that want to own a Tesla, they just need it a little localized. Looking to see if anybody has figured anything out a little more permanent.

5. cwave1

cwave1 Member

If you have a cell phone with data coverage you can tether the car to your phone over Wifi.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1