Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using E-ZPass on M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I've noticed that the M3 qualifies for a Green Pass (NY/NJ Bridges and Toll reduced prices for offpeak usage in Green Vehicles), I applied for an interior tag to be used in my M3.
Now the problem is that E-ZPass sent me an exterior tag. I returned and asked them to send an interior tag. They keep saying that all Tesla vehicles are being sent exterior tags because they have some sort of block that prevents the tag from being read.
So i did my digging and this does apply to the Model S/X but not the 3 (I don't know about the Roadster). I went to the E-ZPass walkin center and showed them the page from the manual (i think page 145 or 147) which clearly states that it can be mounted inside and that there is not metallic block. The still sent me the black tag to attach to my plates. Returned it again. Went back to the walkin center and did the same thing again, and lo and behold, another effin black tag for the plates.
Is there anyone here who was able to obtain an interior E-ZPass Tag for a Model 3 ? This is super frustrating.

I've already seen 3 iterations of this where they have sent an exterior tag and another iteration will yield the same result. How do I get them to send me the tag I want because it should and will work?

I have the interior E-ZPass transmitter installed in my model 3. I have had no issues from southern New Jersey to northern New Hampshire. I picked mine up years ago in Massachusetts; I moved it from my Honda when I received the Tesla. I did have to do an online update to add the new licence plate to my account. According to E-ZPass MA I can move my transponders from car to car. I currently have (5) cars sharing (4) transponders. MA does not assign a specific transponder to a specific car. They also do not charge you for the transponder...

If you have have another non-Tesla car order a E-ZPass for that vehicle and put it in the M3. Or open an account in MA.

Reactions: NeverFollow
I had an exterior ez-pass from my previous vehicle and after I got M3 I put in in the glove box and wanted to install when I find time, but guess what, it just works right inside the glove box and I have been using GSP and Turnpike since Sep with no problems. I hope it stays that way.

I haven't tried it yet, but I mean to try installing the interior tag from my previous vehicle in my Model 3. Already did the changeover on the DMV EZ-PASS site, just have to stick it on and try it. Ought to work.

I don't have a problem with taking the E-Zpass that I use in my other car and sticking it in the Tesla. And yes it will work. But why should I? What if both my vehicles need to travel through an e-zpass toll facility at the same time and both are green vehicles (and yes they are both green vehicles)? The point I am trying to make is that the E-ZPass correspondence refuses to honor my request for an interior tag for my Model 3. Their website doesn't even allows for a Model 3 to be selected as a vehicle (they only have roadster, model s and model x).

They keep sending the exterior tag and I want them to stop and get their policy updated to reflect this.

so basically, the pool of responses here indicate that people are just relying on interior tags they received for another vehicle (which they either traded in or don't drive anymore), or dont have NY E-ZPass... Wonderful...

If there is someone in the same boat as me and has tried and received a black exterior tag from the NY E-ZPass and would like to help me in getting this straightened out with the imbeciles at E-ZPass, let me know.

Thanks.

I was in the exact same boat as you. I tried to get a green tag for my M3, but failed twice for the exact same reasons as you say. I eventually gave up and just use the internal tag from my previous car. I don't use it much so it wasn't worth the hassle for the small discount on tolls. My only suggestion is to try again in 6 months or so and hope their database is updated to allow internal tags for the M3.

This is historical crap from the original Model S. Lol. The X and 3 have no blocking at all and you put EZ Passes anywhere if you want it on the glass. See the manual. I have it to the right of the AP cameras on our 3 and high on the glass (top corner) as recommended in the manual for the X. For S’s I’m not sure if they still have the blocking and the hole to the right of the mirror they always had (which means it was never an issue).

As usual, RTFM. :D. You wish people (government) wouldn’t try to help like this...

so basically, the pool of responses here indicate that people are just relying on interior tags they received for another vehicle (which they either traded in or don't drive anymore), or dont have NY E-ZPass... Wonderful...

If there is someone in the same boat as me and has tried and received a black exterior tag from the NY E-ZPass and would like to help me in getting this straightened out with the imbeciles at E-ZPass, let me know.

Thanks.
How about transferring (or just transplanting) your existing interior tag to your M3, then requesting a new interior tag for your other "green" car?

i just took the exterior tag and zip tied it to the cooling grill. Its no different than having a tag there and it blends in pretty good.

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 1,549
When I signed up for the green discount, they told me that they didn't have any new "green" tags so they just added the feature to one of my existing interior tags. So you could probably just order a regular interior tag and then ask them to add the feature after you receive it.

It looks like NY E-ZPass has not changed. I applied for a Green Pass for my new M3 and specified an Interior tag but they sent me an exterior tag. I've asked them to exchange it for an interior tag so we'll see if they'll follow thru. If not I can try to order another "regular" interior tag and then ask them to change the registration to a Green Pass discount.

The same problem. They sent me an exterior one. I called back and an agent said a Tesla needs an exterior tag. Hang up and I called back and a nice lady picked up and said she would send me an interior one no problem.

The same problem. They sent me an exterior one. I called back and an agent said a Tesla needs an exterior tag. Hang up and I called back and a nice lady picked up and said she would send me an interior one no problem.
Um. Got a M3 and a MY in the household, both are using the interior tag, sans problems since 2018/2021, respectively.

And they’ve been used up and down the East Coast from Maine to Florida and back and forth from NJ to Chicago and further south.

Don’t know what they’ve got issues with at the issuing crowd.