Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Energy Graph to see projected range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: Llama.
Hi all- I travel all over the Uk in my Model 3 SR plus ( soon to get M3P ) and this is a process I use which has never let me down yet.

During long drives I get bored and do various tests to keep me entertained. I’ve driven in all temperatures from -6 degrees C to 34 degrees C and conducted so many tests on my journeys I’ve bored myself senseless.

When you do a full charge on your car it will say 100% and if you flick it over to miles it will give you the total mileage for 100% charge. What ever that number says it doesn’t matter you will not achieve that number of miles. Don’t compare your cars range to others as like an Ice car they are all different.

Ive driven at all speeds over long periods of time during all temps and weather conditions and this is what I’ve sussed that works for me and forecasting how far I can travel in the real world.

Every journey I go on I log my starting percentage and then use navigation to plot my journey. I then check the energy graph to check what it’s saying my predicted percentage will be at the end of that journey and try to beat it by adapting my driving style. you can also see a more accurate forecast of miles on this graph.

An accurate measurement for me is for every 14 percent of charge I use driving at a speed of 70 and depending on day to day traffic. I achieve 30 miles of range.

Driving at 65 miles an hour hardly makes any difference to that number but if you go above 70 it will start eating into that number

As I stated earlier every car is different but at least I know what my true mileage is for my car rather then believing what it states after a full charge.
Your energy graph is a far better measurement of miles and range try it you might be pleasantly surprised. Hope this helps

I’m wondering if the last couple of posts might be moved into a relevantly titled thread. Useful info for newer owners who have yet to explore the energy graph.

Moderator comment - posts moved as per suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m wondering if the last couple of posts might be moved into a relevantly titled thread. Useful info for newer owners who have yet to explore the energy graph.

Moderator comment - posts moved as per suggestion

As if by magic! Seemed like a good idea.

Yes, for all those people who have yet to make use of the Energy Graph I recommend giving it a go. If you like seeing a miles prediction that takes account of a few relevant variables (unlike the battery miles figure when you start out) this is the answer. The "Trip" section gives a reasonably accurate prediction for your journey if you have entered your destination in the nav. Otherwise just looking at your consumption over the last few miles and seeing a prediction based on that ... still reasonably useful.

I've only driven 809 miles so far but I'm finding following the watts/hour and predicted range an adsorbing diversion, as Adapto has said.

The 809 miles are from about 55% A road and Motorway ay 65 to 80 mph and the rest minor roads at between 20 and 40 mph .

The average, so far, is 267Wh/mi, giving a theoretical range if using 90% of the battery and assuming its available capacity is 77.5kw, of about 261 mies.

How does this compare with the experience of others?