Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using front coil springs from 2022 cars on 2018 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to swap my front springs (2018 LR RWD) with parts from a SR+ or similar. I've located a set from a 2022 RWD car, but I'm unsure if they're compatible with the earlier cars.

Reason? It appears Tesla may have used the AWD springs on the LR RWD, resulting in overly stiff/harsh front suspension. The rear suspension seems closer to perfect. If I can run softer springs I can increase tire pressure and improve range. I've read a lot of comparison posts and everyone says their AWD or P car is much smoother than the LR AWD.

Does anyone have a breakdown on the part numbers, compatibility or any additional info? I was looking to get the mild dual rate lowering springs, but there's too many complaints of noise from the coils binding and moving around in the spring seats. OEM always works.

Thanks!

Tesla lowered the compression damping on 2021+ vehicle so all you need are the dampers.
I have 9K front and 12K rear springs(Factory is 6K front and 10K rear)on my MCS 2WNR coilovers and it still rides better than any pre 2021 vehicles. It's mostly in the damping.

Reactions: tm1v2
Front RWD springs (1044379-00-E) are 3.4K
Front RWD springs (1044379-03-E) are 3.6K
Front AWD springs (1044379-02-D) are 4.3K
Front P springs (1044379-04-B) are 4.4K

All the springs are interchangeable amongst all models as even the RWD shocks use the same perch geometry despite being very different at the axle end. *But* the ride height is calibrated for the weight of the front motor as well as any battery differences so really it's only the P/AWD springs that are interchangeable.

Your LR RWD is a unicorn with some weird one-off suspension. Not only do you have springs that are likely not on my list but you might have weird shocks too. Your shocks are probably RWD style, but re-tuned for the LR battery weight. Your best bet would be to get MPP Comforts or a similar coilover kit that will provide you with softer damping while allowing the ride height to be adjusted to your unusual configuration.

Or even better, sell the 2018 (it's probably worth $100K by now!) and buy a 2023 with all the profits.

• Funny
Reactions: Perscitus and tm1v2