TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using Homebridge and Siri to control your Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wayner, Jan 18, 2016.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

Has anyone tried this yet. Homebridge is available on Github at https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge. There are 88 plugins available here https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=homebridge-plugin

You run it on something like an RPi and it acts as a bridge between iOS' HomeKit.

I am no expert on this but it should be very doable to whip up a plugin to use voice commands via Siri to start and stop charging, turn on climate, unlock, etc.

Here is the description from Github:

2. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

This wold be soo great especially if there's some way to do it remotely (not on your own network). I suspect this won't do it but even home voice command would be useful. Subscribing in hopes someone will figure out how and post the tutorial.

3. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

I just started to work with HomeBridge this morning, i setup the Bridge and also a WeMo Switch, i see there's a Tesla plugin, (i have a p85+), and i think it's easy to use it, but i think that you need to be in the same network (wifi), i will take a deep look ...

4. wayner

wayner Active Member

Can you provide a link to the Tesla plugin? I didn't see that.

5. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

6. wayner

wayner Active Member

It looks like that uses teslams which is also written in JavaScript and allows full control of the Tesla. But I don't know the significance of the term "legacy-plugins". I think Homebridge has only been around for a few months so it shouldn't be an issue that it has been deprecated.

edit - Here is what it says about legacy lugins:

7. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

Wayner, the problem with HomeKit is , that HomeKit is to commands devices, so, no answer come's for the device, i mean, you can send commands like "open the door" "start the car", but you can not ask "which is the level of the battery..", "is charging?", this kind of commands doesn't work with HomeKit, Amazon Echo can do it.
    Tesla + Amazon Echo on Vimeo

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

I don't see the point in spending $179 + tax for something that can only do what the API allows it to do.

9. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

How do you set this up?!?! :)

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

Well that's not ideal but I am willing to try it. I carry an iPhone with me but I don't need an Amazon Echo in my house, at least not yet.

11. gerti

gerti Member

HomeKit supports status messages (like ambient light level etc) just fine.

12. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

Wayner

More info: in the folder /usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-legacy-plugins/accessories/Tesla.js (in a Mac) you have the javascript File, in these Javascript use the Teslams calls.

in your config.json (Homebridge you need to put your password and email for the Teslamotors account"
    {
    "accessory": "Tesla",
    "name": "Tesla",
    "description": "This shim supports controlling climate control on the Tesla Model S.",
    "username": "-------",
    "password" : xxxx"
    }

and that's it, now you can start-stop the climate with Siri, works. But only these function is used in Tesla.js, you can add more if you want.

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

Just so I understand, this plug in installs on your computer or iOS?

14. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

The plugin is installed in your computer (the computer is the bridge)

in iOS you just have a Database with you compatible HomeKit devices (defined in the bridge).

Now i can control using SIRI the climate (just start - stop) and get the % soc from my tesla.....

Note: to add the "Bridge" to ios Homekit you can use the app named "eve" from elgato, this apps has the ability to add the HomeBridge to you iOs database using the id " 031-45-154"