Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I searched for Homelink and all those threads were about trouble setting up.
My garage door opener works fine when I push the Homelink button inside the car but the last time I left it didn't close the garage door automatically. Yes I have the option checked. I think it said garage door close skipped.
It opens everytime I come home.
What is the proper procedure to get it to close as well? Do I open it using the wall switch or does it have to be while in the car?
Thanks

Mine works like yours currently works. If I open it from in the car to leave, it doesn't close automatically. If I open it from the wall and leave, then it will close automatically. It has been really consistent about this.

Personal experience, neither way has worked consistently. HOWEVER, without much testing, I find that if I pull in head first rather than my normal backing in, it seems to be more consistent. AND, if the garage is open for more than a few minutes, it seems to work better.

Mine works like yours currently works. If I open it from in the car to leave, it doesn't close automatically. If I open it from the wall and leave, then it will close automatically. It has been really consistent about this.

Yep. Same for me.

Open from wall when leaving and the Tesla closes every time.
Open from the Tesla and auto closing doesn't work. The Homelink dropdown shows, but no Skip button.

Yep. Same for me.

Open from wall when leaving and the Tesla closes every time.
Open from the Tesla and auto closing doesn't work. The Homelink dropdown shows, but no Skip button.
Do you see the animated wave icon showing there is a transmission going on? If not, it's a car issue. If you do, it may be a directional or dispersion issue or a transmission which is confusing your receiver by going on too long.

Do you see the animated wave icon showing there is a transmission going on? If not, it's a car issue. If you do, it may be a directional or dispersion issue or a transmission which is confusing your receiver by going on too long.

Not sure what you are saying.

As I said, if I open from the car, when I back out there should be a Skip button offering me a chance to stop the door from closing. The Skip button is not there and the car, therefore, isn't going to close the door.

When I open from the wall, when I back out I see the Skip button and know that the car will close the door and it does.

If I open garage via button or via Tesla car Homelink manually, it will auto close after reversing out of garage. However, my experience with either using fob or auto park from MCU screen/selecting forward arrow after double clicking parking stick is inconsistent. Actually, my home charger button recently since summon updates seems to inconsistently open charger door. :(

Not sure what you are saying.
If you just operate the Homelink entry manually you should see the animated icon to the right of entry while it transmits. That is the only definitive sign that the car is actually transmitting.

The reason for asking is that some receivers are affected by how long the pulse transmitted is and will not work if it's too long. I know the Skip option should appear if it is going to auto transmit but it might itself be the error.

I have found that it just works sporadically, doesn't seem related to how I opened the door. I almost always open the door from the wall button and after I back out, sometimes it closes, sometimes it doesn't. Does the same thing when I come home - sometimes opens the door, sometimes it does't. It always has the countdown for the auto open or close, but just doesn't always work. It seems to me that the Tesla just has a weak homelink signal.

There's an option in the Homelink settings to allow you to reset the location ....

Ok, I reset the location with the car sitting with its nose almost touching the garage door but it still tries to open the door before I even turn into my drive way so it is too far away to open the garage door. Any way to adjust it so it doesn't try and open the door until it is within say 10 feet or so of the door?

I hope this seemingly fringe case can help somebody else so here goes.

Having been a Model S owner for 3.5 years now I considered myself a pro at Homelink programming and operation on the Model S. Never had any real problems programming or operating multiple garage doors with the Tesla. Auto Homelink worked great too - closing the door every time I backed out of the garage and opening the door every time I pulled in to the driveway. I always put fresh batteries in the remote before programming the Model S because a) the instructions say to do that and b) I believe the instructions say to do that because the Model S Homelink not only learns the code but also tries to emulate the transmit power of the remote being used to train (thus fresh batteries help it learn the highest power).

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Brand new Model S. I program it up, set the location for automatic operation and proceed to test it out.

It works every single time to open the door when returning home but works only sometimes to close the door upon leaving. WTH?!?? This is not the issue of "Skipping Auto Close" but rather it would act like it was working, transmitting a signal and activating the chime but just wouldn't close the garage door. Even if I tried to manually resend the signal it would not close the door.

Over the course of the last two weeks I noticed that if I opened the garage door (from the wall button) and then did some other stuff in the garage before getting in the car and leaving it would work every time. I finally narrowed it down to if I opened the garage door from the wall button and then waited until the light went off before leaving, it would work every time. Of course, upon returning the light was never on so it worked every time.

Today it dawned on me - the day I got back with the new Model S I decided to change the incandescent bulb in the garage door opener to one of my fancy new Phillips LED bulbs. Took the LED bulb out and put the old incandescent 60W bulb back in and viola - no more issues. The only thing I can figure is the LED bulb electronics were generating just enough RF interference right next to the receiving antenna wire that it interfered with the Tesla Homelink signal.

Mike