TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using Homelink

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MSullivan, Jun 11, 2016.

1. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I searched for Homelink and all those threads were about trouble setting up.
    My garage door opener works fine when I push the Homelink button inside the car but the last time I left it didn't close the garage door automatically. Yes I have the option checked. I think it said garage door close skipped.
    It opens everytime I come home.
    What is the proper procedure to get it to close as well? Do I open it using the wall switch or does it have to be while in the car?
    Thanks

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Its not a perfect system. Sporadic at best.

3. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

OK but how am I supposed to operate it? Open at the wall or use the car control?

4. jgallops

jgallops Not so Well Known Member

Mine works like yours currently works. If I open it from in the car to leave, it doesn't close automatically. If I open it from the wall and leave, then it will close automatically. It has been really consistent about this.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Personal experience, neither way has worked consistently. HOWEVER, without much testing, I find that if I pull in head first rather than my normal backing in, it seems to be more consistent. AND, if the garage is open for more than a few minutes, it seems to work better.

6. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Yep. Same for me.

Open from wall when leaving and the Tesla closes every time.
    Open from the Tesla and auto closing doesn't work. The Homelink dropdown shows, but no Skip button.

7. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

This is precisely my experience as well.

8. simonog

simonog Member

Do you see the animated wave icon showing there is a transmission going on? If not, it's a car issue. If you do, it may be a directional or dispersion issue or a transmission which is confusing your receiver by going on too long.

9. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Not sure what you are saying.

As I said, if I open from the car, when I back out there should be a Skip button offering me a chance to stop the door from closing. The Skip button is not there and the car, therefore, isn't going to close the door.

When I open from the wall, when I back out I see the Skip button and know that the car will close the door and it does.

10. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

If I open garage via button or via Tesla car Homelink manually, it will auto close after reversing out of garage. However, my experience with either using fob or auto park from MCU screen/selecting forward arrow after double clicking parking stick is inconsistent. Actually, my home charger button recently since summon updates seems to inconsistently open charger door. :(

11. simonog

simonog Member

If you just operate the Homelink entry manually you should see the animated icon to the right of entry while it transmits. That is the only definitive sign that the car is actually transmitting.

The reason for asking is that some receivers are affected by how long the pulse transmitted is and will not work if it's too long. I know the Skip option should appear if it is going to auto transmit but it might itself be the error.

12. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Mine, too, works like this.

13. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Does anyone know how to link a remote for a gated community?

When I open the remote, it's a standard toggle/switch remote.

Does the HomeLink work with these types? I tried programming it following the directions on the screen but it doesn't seem to work for me.

My garage rolling code works.

14. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

I have found that it just works sporadically, doesn't seem related to how I opened the door. I almost always open the door from the wall button and after I back out, sometimes it closes, sometimes it doesn't. Does the same thing when I come home - sometimes opens the door, sometimes it does't. It always has the countdown for the auto open or close, but just doesn't always work. It seems to me that the Tesla just has a weak homelink signal.