Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today it dawned on me - the day I got back with the new Model S I decided to change the incandescent bulb in the garage door opener to one of my fancy new Phillips LED bulbs. Took the LED bulb out and put the old incandescent 60W bulb back in and viola - no more issues. The only thing I can figure is the LED bulb electronics were generating just enough RF interference right next to the receiving antenna wire that it interfered with the Tesla Homelink signal.

OH! That make perfect sense!!! I'm going to change the LED bulbs out and back to the old CF ones.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
OH! That make perfect sense!!! I'm going to change the LED bulbs out and back to the old CF ones.

Report back and let us know if it cures whatever ails your Homelink issues!

Also, thanks for the report of the EZPass working through the glass of the new Model S - I have never been able to get anything but an external toll tag/transponder to work on the previous Teslas but based on your post I tried it here with my Causeway Toll Tag and it works through the glass now!

Reactions: wesley888
Yes! Changing out the LED bulbs totally fixed it. When I had LED bulbs on the garage opener, I couldn't even close the garage door manually when I'm over 5-10m away (that's where I noticed that the auto-close didn't work). I had to drive back to right in front of the garage to close the garage door.

It puzzled me so much since the garage door would auto open when I'm 20-30m away before I even get on the driveway. That's mean the signal is correct and strong enough to be received by the unit 20-30m away. Now it totally make sense, since when I'm coming back to open the garage door, the LED bulbs on the garage opener were not turned on yet.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike

Just looked at that one.

Are you installing it yourself, or paying the extra $163.95 to have it installed for you? :)

Light Bulb.jpg

Are you installing it yourself, or paying the extra $163.95 to have it installed for you? :)

LOL - you got the special deal. For me, it would be $275 (!) for installation. I want the job "installer"...

Screenshot 2017-01-16 20.10.19.png

EDIT: Apparently the installer lives close to you and that same installer would need to travel to New Orleans to install mine...

Follow up - the Genie branded LED bulb works fine with the Tesla Homelink.

I tried to determine if I could identify the manufacturer by the markings on the bulb and I could not - it was all Genie. The only thing I saw of note was it was a "non-dimmable" LED (whereas the Phillips bulb I previously tried was dimmable).

Mike

EDIT: I will be giving myself $275 for successful installation. Which brings to mind all sorts of "How many _____ does it take to screw in a light bulb?"