Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Jowua Invisible Phone Mount for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's a Model S problem with it's metallic coating (See here). I don't think the Y has that issue. Range has not been noticeably different for me located here on the Y than it was in my Jeep Grand Cherokee mounted as high as it would go on the windshield. I haven't tested it scientifically in any way, but the R7 range is outstanding on Ka and it still is mounted above the screen on the Y. Rear range is harder to tell, but the arrows still work correctly moving front to back, so it seems rearward vision is still decent, though I admit I care much less about rear range.
Here's where it is on the Manual.... I couldn't find it earlier:

Using RFID Transponders When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model Y, place the transponder on the passenger side of the rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view. p 177 of manual.

I'm no expert and maybe I'm just reading more into it than I need to.

Reactions: Zhe Wiz
Here's where it is on the Manual.... I couldn't find it earlier:

Using RFID Transponders When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model Y, place the transponder on the passenger side of the rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view. p 177 of manual.

I'm no expert and maybe I'm just reading more into it than I need to.

I read that too, and did put my EZ Pass up there, but then that's where I always put it.

With the radar detector, in practice I see no issue. Maybe someone here has the ability to test the windshield somehow. But as far as I can tell it's a non-issue in the Y.

Reactions: alexcue
Keep us updated on if those USB adapters work.

They came in yesterday, but got a little derailed - we've been doing a serious burn including no booze, so the celebratory bevs yesterday wiped me out :D

Anyway ...

It works!

At first I thought it didn't, then I tried directly into the 12v in the armrest (not using the adapter) but that didn't work either. I was using like a 30 foot long phone cord, and funny enough I recently pitched about 20 of them, so I didn't have another to test, rooted around for like an hour till I found 2 spools of cord, my crimper, bot no RJ-11/12 connectors.

Went __back__ to the original cord, remembered the V1 12v power adapter was a little janky, fiddled with it, same cord, fired right up :) As we knew, the USB-C ports stay hot, so I don't think I'd leave it plugged in for an extended period where I wasn't using the car. The little module that's inline on these adapters has an indicator light, again, small draw I'm sure but could add up over time.

So that's a 12v radar detector >> 12v_to_USB-A adapter >> USB-A_to_USB-C adapter :D I'm using these A_to_C adapters from Cable Creations for my USB drive too, they have a 90° angle so don't stick out from the port.

Today I'm going to see if I can run a cable behind the charging pad area into the center console, not remove anything, just try to fish it through.

Last edited: