Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using just your phone to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly does this mean? Tether to your car how? If the car has connectivity why wouldn’t your phone? Because you are on two different data carriers? And how do you ‘tether a phone to the car’?

Really doesn’t make too much sense without more details.

I guess the OP meant to tether your Tesla to your phone's hotspot? I never heard that before, but it might be true that your Tesla could recognize the phone via tether that it is the owner's phone, so you can drive. More details or step by step instructions may be helpful

Yeah, if the *car* can't reach its data provider then using its Wifi to reach your data provider via your phone's hotspot is an idea. Not that I've heard of that being needed. But it's a theoretical answer. :D

Something to keep in the back of your mind if your fob craps out and AT&T does also (I believe that's what Tesla uses?) and then you have VzW or whatever.... (Same idea for 3's using data only, of course, no fob).

Thanks for the idea!

I don't think I'm following how this applies to the 3. If you have your phone and it has enough power to enable a hotspot, then it has enough power to enable bluetooth and you have your key, no need for workarounds. The 3's connection is all local over bluetooth, no internet required.
It doesn't. The original idea was to use the phone for data, but you can't since you can't get in the car to set it up so the car uses the phone. So we have no idea what the original idea actually was. :D

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig
So, how is the car 'made' to remain awake? Not sure wifi is 'up' all the time. Will it wake up when you try the door or is wifi 'available' to see your phone's wifi hotspot?

This is for the S/X, as the 3 would work locally with BT, of course, if you were already logged into the app.

The Design Studio when buying a new Tesla says that the newly configured Tesla will come with one year of included “Connectivity”...

1. What happens to “Connectivity” after this first year has expired?

2. Is there a place to enter a mobile SIM card to remain “Connected” to your car?

3. How much does it cost to continue using the Tesla’s connectivity features?

The Design Studio when buying a new Tesla says that the newly configured Tesla will come with one year of included “Connectivity”...

1. What happens to “Connectivity” after this first year has expired?

2. Is there a place to enter a mobile SIM card to remain “Connected” to your car?

3. How much does it cost to continue using the Tesla’s connectivity features?

The yearly fee is $100.. more details are here:
Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

It doesn't. The original idea was to use the phone for data, but you can't since you can't get in the car to set it up so the car uses the phone. So we have no idea what the original idea actually was. :D

I guess I'll need to configure in advance and use it when I need it.

That means, in my spare time:

.turn on my phone wi-fi hot spot
.set up so Tesla can use and automatically connect to my phone hot spot
.turn off my phone hot spot.

Then, one day, when there's an AT&T blackout and my fob is dead and I can't use its contact location to open the door,

but my phone is non-AT&T and still has internet access so I would turn on my phone hot spot.

My car would find a live internet connection from my phone hot spot and connect to it automatically because it is prioritize to use wi-fi instead of its own cell phone data connection.

Then I can turn on my phone Tesla App to access and drive my car.

It sounds good in theory but we'll need a volunteer to see if it works in real life :)