Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using local mechanic to perform service on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a Tesla only needs brake checks, fluid/rotors etc as part of the official maintenance routine is there a reason a local trusted mechanic couldn't do that? Until The Electrified garage opens franchises all over the nation I don't really want to take my car to Tesla just for this sort of basic maintenance and pay $$$ for it. Seems like overkill to me. I already spent $5 on my first annual service (change windshield fluid).. I then spent $70 on the second service for the replacement AC filter.. now I am at 40,000 miles and checking brakes seems like a good idea even in sunny SoCal

We ran ours up onto a hoist at the place we get our ICE serviced and agreed every 24 months we'll check the brake fluid and maybe change that 12V battery. As @jjrandorin suggests there's nothing exotic or strange about the "car" parts of the car, so I'll only be involving Tesla service for warranty/breakdown issues.

Remember brake fluid needs to be REPLACED (not 'checked') every 2 years, regardless of miles. And that's especially important in humid climates, since brake fluid absorbs moisture (hygroscopic). Unless the Tesla uses mineral fluid (which would be awesome), but to my knowledge, it doesn't. If you check the cap of your brake fluid reservoir, it should say there which fluid it's in there. And no, not a Tesla owner yet, hence checking it :).

Directly from the latest update of the model 3 owners manual
D074C141-CD94-4D1F-B912-73A807AD51F3.jpeg