Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Lower Half Of Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used the low SOC during non use to keep the calendar aging low. Earlier my job was ~50km away so a regular jobday was starting at 55% after the charging just was finished, driving 50km and efter work home plus often a couple of smaller drives during the evening. During night standing with about 15-30%. Now I have 240km to work
But work on week each work period. Bigger cycles but the car is parked with low SOC during those weeks.

But I did a lot of other travel as well, needing higer SOC. I also have quite a few 100% charges to check for example the Nominal Full Pack etc. The number of full charges is 25-30 (25 according to teslafi but I had some before I did get teslafi)

The number of Supercharging sessions is about 43 or so (37 in Teslafi plus some before I got teslafi). In total about 18% of all energy is Supercharging.

Yesterday I had a NFP of 78.1kWh / 491km range, after 52.000km and 22 months.

My NFP was overestimated by the BMS for a long time, then i drooped and I did see around 3kWh below the probable real value before it crawled up again. Now it is closer to the real value, maybe slightly low (measured 79kWh during a 100-0% drive a few months back).
View attachment 870421

As calendar aging is the main battery degrador for most people, it is possible to use the upper half of the battery when
needed and still have lower degradation than most other by utilizing low SOC when the car is not in use.

Of course, to win the low degradation competition you should always keep low, use very small cycles, never charge to 100%.
But otherwise you dont need to always use the lower half of the battery as one might think reading the heading of the thread.
I recall the tweet by Elon replying to an owner a few years back, how to get the best chance of the HV pack on an older MS lasting for 15-20 years.

Generally operate between 30-70%

Store at 50-62%

Since following these guidelines, my capacity on a '15 85D has decreased a few percent less than my peers on Teslafi.

I'm following the same on my '22.

I suspect storage at lower temps is also important, so the car stays garaged whenever possible.

Reactions: ElectricIAC