Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

using M3P whilst MY in for repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I took my MY for a few bits sorting today and was given an M3P as a loaner. thoughts on this model compared to my Model Y;

M3 much smaller, no heated steering wheel, not good in the back even for my 14 year old daughter, no auto boot and overall lack of space there.
BUT - WOW does this M3P fly and handles the road much better.

overall from this, if you need a large car / have family then MY is perfect But if just the 2 of you and want to have fun the M3P all the way :)

I must admit I don't really understand folks buying a slower, less efficient car in order to please their kids sitting in the back. I fold my 17yo and 14yo into the back and they don't complain. If they feel uncomfortable they can rest their heads on their knees.

We regularly do a 500 miles trip to Scotland, no one has got out of the back with a complaint. Also carried all the stuff for 4 for a week including a SUP, paddles, pumps and a RC plane..

I must admit I don't really understand folks buying a slower, less efficient car in order to please their kids sitting in the back. I fold my 17yo and 14yo into the back and they don't complain. If they feel uncomfortable they can rest their heads on their knees.

We regularly do a 500 miles trip to Scotland, no one has got out of the back with a complaint. Also carried all the stuff for 4 for a week including a SUP, paddles, pumps and a RC plane..
Slightly less efficient yes but balanced against a larger interior space, much larger carrying capacity in the boot with hatch and a more pleasing elevated driving position especially for motorway driving. For me these pro's on the Y are worth the 20 mile reduction in range. Oh and i am loving the Chinese rattle free build quality and heated steering wheel over my Freemont built M3P that was in the service centre a total of 11 times in 15 months : /

Slightly less efficient yes but balanced against a larger interior space, much larger carrying capacity in the boot with hatch and a more pleasing elevated driving position especially for motorway driving. For me these pro's on the Y are worth the 20 mile reduction in range. Oh and i am loving the Chinese rattle free build quality and heated steering wheel over my Freemont built M3P that was in the service centre a total of 11 times in 15 months : /
Family wagon, you'll be using it for dump trips and transporting plants <shudder>. My Model 3 LR has had 3 trips to the SC in 33 months, and will be replaced in maybe a month with a new one with all the same gizmos as a Y.

Waste of money. Adds maybe 2-3 metres in a traffic light grand prix but in the real world even less. Check out the car wow drag races between the M3P and M3 LR from standing starts and rolling
Yes I have seen all the videos and yes I have AB. Im not professing its a must but the OP came across as having something in common as me hence I gave my opinion. My money is not wasted if it makes me happy ;)

It's not really slower from A-B though. Trips take the same amount of time in both as performance is never a limitation in either. Our 2022 MY LR has a stronger mid-range punch than our 2021 M3 LR for whatever reason. Larger battery maybe? I carry bikes around and the MY is way better for that without resorting to a tow rack.

I must admit I don't really understand folks buying a slower, less efficient car in order to please their kids sitting in the back.

I must admit I don't understand why so many people want a faster, smaller car, and go on about 'handling' when 99% of people will never go near a track or get close the performance envelope of a 60 single motor Model S ;).

Frankly the speed at which even our 'slow' 75D X can carry into corners on a B road is just mad for use on public roads, and the one time I tried to even use 75% the performance of a P85D S on a B road I nearly ended up in a hedge.

Let's get real here, the performance of the slowest Tesla on sale today is the equivalent of 'Super cars' from the 1980s. The grip level offered by morden tyres and suspension means if you have actually experience understeer in any Tesla you really are going too fast on a public road.

Don't even get me started on the TC system on these cars, any road condition, any chamber, any temperature you can floor the throttle and the most 'drama' you will get is some flashing yellow lights followed by been catapulted into the distance with zero realisation of how little grip or actual driving skill you have! Anyone who's owned and driven a RWD combustion car will know what am talking about, does that bush look 'softer' than the other one was often my thought process when even thinking about going WOT in my old 400bhp BMW in anything but perfectly smooth tarmac, in the dry and having the steering wheel dead centre.

I use to love speed, but EVs have numbed it to a point where any 'excitement' from going fast on public roads I have to seek on my pedal bikes. These things are all simply TOO GOOD. You no longer need any skill to deploy 300,400,500 bhp in any road conditions, by the time you actually start to loss grip you are traveling at crazy speeds that really should see your licence been taken away. Its madness I tell you :).

So my views of speed have been competly redefined by EVs. These days I much prefer comfort and space in a car, it could be am just getting old....but Strava tells me I hit 41mph on my pedal bike this week whilst hitting a peak HR of nearly 190bpm all during my commute to work, so my 'need' for speed is still there, its just all achieved at a much more sensible levels of speed. Though a crash at 40mph on a pedal bike would be substantially more painful than any crash I've in a car of any kind :).

51988307510_c3eca87ae2_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski and GlynG
I must admit I don't understand why so many people want a faster, smaller car, and go on about 'handling' when 99% of people will never go near a track or get close the performance envelope of a 60 single motor Model S ;).

Frankly the speed at which even our 'slow' 75D X can carry into corners on a B road is just mad for use on public roads, and the one time I tried to even use 75% the performance of a P85D S on a B road I nearly ended up in a hedge.

I hope to feel the same when I get my MXP :D Currently I am contemplating the boost and will probably persevere until the X arrives.

I hope to feel the same when I get my MXP :D Currently I am contemplating the boost and will probably persevere until the X arrives.

Honestly when you realise how quickly you are hustling a 3ton+ 2 meter wide car down a road shared by tractors, horses, cyclists, its quite humbling, especially when you realise the car isnt even bothered by hitting pot holes, negative camber and you aren't even using 50% throttle.

Am not one for mandatory/automated speed limits but the speed of all of these things is mind boggling. There were some posts on here before about not been able to hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds when it's the middle of winter on UK roads......The 'performance' EVs have made available for all really is crazy.

Reactions: Peteski

Let's get real here, the performance of the slowest Tesla on sale today is the equivalent of 'Super cars' from the 1980s. The grip level offered by morden tyres and suspension means if you have actually experience understeer in any Tesla you really are going too fast on a public road.

Don't even get me started on the TC system on these cars, any road condition, any chamber, any temperature you can floor the throttle and the most 'drama' you will get is some flashing yellow lights followed by been catapulted into the distance with zero realisation of how little grip or actual driving skill you have! Anyone who's owned and driven a RWD combustion car will know what am talking about, does that bush look 'softer' than the other one was often my thought process when even thinking about going WOT in my old 400bhp BMW in anything but perfectly smooth tarmac, in the dry and having the steering wheel dead centre.

I use to love speed, but EVs have numbed it to a point where any 'excitement' from going fast on public roads I have to seek on my pedal bikes. These things are all simply TOO GOOD. You no longer need any skill to deploy 300,400,500 bhp in any road conditions, by the time you actually start to loss grip you are traveling at crazy speeds that really should see your licence been taken away. Its madness I tell you :).

So my views of speed have been competly redefined by EVs. These days I much prefer comfort and space in a car, it could be am just getting old....but Strava tells me I hit 41mph on my pedal bike this week whilst hitting a peak HR of nearly 190bpm all during my commute to work, so my 'need' for speed is still there, its just all achieved at a much more sensible levels of speed. Though a crash at 40mph on a pedal bike would be substantially more painful than any crash I've in a car of any kind :).

Kinda deliberately avoiding the efficiency point there. Model 3 is lighter so less emissions from manufacture, and more efficient so less emissions from making the electricity (yes you could have solar, but not all year round).

It's not really an especially controversial point that in general the auto industry has conditioned us to prefer larger vehicles than we need, often through paranoia that we will somehow be safer, and that elevated driving position will save us.

What a super sensible reply you have formulated, your thoughts echo mine (well all except the bits about cycles, hate them) My previous Focus RS with 4 wheel drive used to squirm like hell on full throttle on even dry roads - many referred to this as "veering steering", My 3P with a lot more BHP puts the power down without any drama, completely sanitised.