Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using magic eraser (no soap version) on the inside of the window.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my 36.1 update on 11/01. LR RWD FSD built August 2018. Like the one pedal driving but it does take some getting use to in reverse.
The only other issue so far is wipers- they again seem to have a mind of their own. They occasionally start with no rain around and don't start with a lite mist that eventually covers the windshield and requires a "button push" to clear.
It does feel quicker but I have not had the opportunity to try with a Dragy yet.

Your wiper experience is different than mine, which so far has been near perfect since the update. Before it was not consistent and started a little too late for me. Earlier I tried coating the front window with Aquapel, and this seemed to help, but after a couple of months I was getting a bit of trailing temporary smear, which bothered me. So I cleaned the front window with a magic eraser, inside and out, followed by glass cleaner. Wiped the blades with alcohol. Was surprised that this made the window nearly invisible. There was more of a film on the inside than I expected. Window now crystal clear, some improvement in auto wipers, but still not as good as I would prefer. Then came 36.1, conveniently at the beginning of a few days of rain and drizzle. Wipers have been perfect, no manual intervention at all.

Still surprised at how much difference the magic eraser (no soap version) made on the inside of the window.

Your wiper experience is different than mine, which so far has been near perfect since the update. Before it was not consistent and started a little too late for me. Earlier I tried coating the front window with Aquapel, and this seemed to help, but after a couple of months I was getting a bit of trailing temporary smear, which bothered me. So I cleaned the front window with a magic eraser, inside and out, followed by glass cleaner. Wiped the blades with alcohol. Was surprised that this made the window nearly invisible. There was more of a film on the inside than I expected. Window now crystal clear, some improvement in auto wipers, but still not as good as I would prefer. Then came 36.1, conveniently at the beginning of a few days of rain and drizzle. Wipers have been perfect, no manual intervention at all.

Still surprised at how much difference the magic eraser (no soap version) made on the inside of the window.
This is a bit off topic, but do you mind sharing an amazon link to the magic eraser you used (or just the product name)? I haven't used one that's "no soap" before. I've had a heck of a time cleaning some sort of film off the windshield interior since I got the car, so your detailed explanation above is appreciated!

Reactions: Bloomj
This is a bit off topic, but do you mind sharing an amazon link to the magic eraser you used (or just the product name)? I haven't used one that's "no soap" before. I've had a heck of a time cleaning some sort of film off the windshield interior since I got the car, so your detailed explanation above is appreciated!

Most are no soap. Mr Clean describes those with soap as Foamy. Instead get the extra durable version.
I at first got the Mr Clean assortment pak, which has some of each, but only used the extra durable ones. Which by the way are not that durable. Doing the windows once, will start to crumble a sponge.

Magic eraser sponges are really a very mild abrasive, so they don’t need soap. But you will need to follow up with a good glass cleaner to fully remove the stuff you loosen up with the sponge.

I lay a cloth across the top of the dash before I start, not to get any water marks.

I just ordered a generic version, but have not tried them yet.

Interior film totally removed, and much less tendency to fog up, or show any haze under some lighting conditions. it is also very easy.

• Helpful
Reactions: rlb4 and silenteski
Walmart also has melamine sponges that are relatively inexpensive and a usually better quality than the cheap ones on Amazon. Check next to the Mr Clean Magic Eraser stuff for the off brand. Some folks also use #0000 steel wool, but that's more of a pain on the inside of the windshield because water won't go up toward the glass in it as easily.

I never got my Model 3 windshield clean after a year before I sold it for a Model X.

Model X had the SAME issue.

I tried Magic Eraser on the inside and outside and it helped but it still had scum.

I ended up Polishing the outside. HUGE difference. You could see the "Scum line" where it was and was not polished.

I still think the inside has some scum left and I'm afraid of doing inside with polish. I used an orbital for the outside, I might do the inside by hand.

I had been thinking about using the Griot’s Garage glass polish with a DA polisher followed by a sealant, but tried the magic eraser followed by glass cleaner, and it really did the job for me. Perhaps because the car is only 5 months old.

Certainly plan to repeat the process on a semi annual basis. It’s pretty easy to do.

If that does not keep it up, I will try the polish on the outside, but my issue was surprisingly more on the inside.