Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Mobile Connector Outside When Rainy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you have used the Gen 2 mobile connector outside when raining? I’m visiting a friends house in the country and he has an outdoor wall outlet, but as this is in Maryland often rains overnight.

I read the manual, and it still unclear to me if the mobile Gen 2 connector is designed to be used outdoors. As a precaution, I was going to keep the connector slightly off the ground. Thoughts?

How many of you have used the Gen 2 mobile connector outside when raining? I’m visiting a friends house in the country and he has an outdoor wall outlet, but as this is in Maryland often rains overnight.

I read the manual, and it still unclear to me if the mobile Gen 2 connector is designed to be used outdoors. As a precaution, I was going to keep the connector slightly off the ground. Thoughts?

Should be fine, but be aware that the safety features the UMC provides only apply downstream of the box on the cable. So you can More easily get shocked upstream of thst box. Make sure where you plug in is protected from the elements even with the UMC attached.

Downstream of the UMC the cable is not energized until it is plugged into the car. More importantly, the UMC has a built in GFCI which is critical for safety in water.

The outlet should have an in-use cover that allows the cover to be closed while something's plugged in. If the outlet currently has an older cover that can't be closed while in use, I'd suggest replacing the cover.

If it's a double outlet, I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/ML500W-Horizontal-Vertical-Weatherproof-Expandable/dp/B00OHRNX0G/ It's low profile when nothing's plugged in - or if the plug is right angle, like Tesla's.

If it's a single outlet, Tesla's right-angle cord doesn't really get enough space to bend to the hole for the cord to exit in that one. The best I've found for a single outlet is https://smile.amazon.com/Taymac-MM420C-Single-Non-Metallic-Weatherproof/dp/B00JU532B0/ which is larger and uglier, but allows the cord to exit straight down, assuming the outlet's oriented vertically.

All great answers and exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I am in the same situation till my apt allocates a garage to me. My current (pun!?!) solution is to cover the relay part of the connector (Tesla calls it the controller) in thick plastic sheet, cinch it to the adapter cable at the top with a bread bag twist tie, and leave the plastic below the relay open so that it is partially air cooled (I realize hot air rises, so this is NOT ideal) - this assumes that the relay is vertically hanging or supported a few inches above a rock or something.

On the charge port side, I assume that Tesla has weather proofed it to the extent they can. I see a lot of water droplets on the charge port surface below the lid when I open the lid (for charging) after a rain event - the port itself seems to be water free. I keep a hand towel handy just to clean the charge port surface below the lid.

The outlet should have an in-use cover that allows the cover to be closed while something's plugged in. If the outlet currently has an older cover that can't be closed while in use, I'd suggest replacing the cover.

If it's a double outlet, I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/ML500W-Horizontal-Vertical-Weatherproof-Expandable/dp/B00OHRNX0G/ It's low profile when nothing's plugged in - or if the plug is right angle, like Tesla's.

If it's a single outlet, Tesla's right-angle cord doesn't really get enough space to bend to the hole for the cord to exit in that one. The best I've found for a single outlet is https://smile.amazon.com/Taymac-MM420C-Single-Non-Metallic-Weatherproof/dp/B00JU532B0/ which is larger and uglier, but allows the cord to exit straight down, assuming the outlet's oriented vertically.

My problem at work is the outlet is in direct sunlight all day. So clear plastic like the second single gang you listed will degrade in the UV and crack after a year or so letting water in and trip the breaker eventually. Also the box is 2 gang (4 outlet size) so the cover has to be 2 gang to mount.

We went with an opaque metal one to avoid that issue.

If your outlet is likely to be in the shade most of the time the clear plastic will likely last a few years longer and make it a non issue (or at least less of one).

Last edited:
I would be careful of covering it with plastic. I think it needs ventilation and you don't want condensation or humidity getting trapped. I charge with this cable outside everyday (rain/snow/sun) without any problems so far. I found a good use of my old oil pan, I set it upside down on the ground and set the controller on top of it to keep it out of the puddles.

One trick I heard of for the Chevy Volt is to put the EVSE in the trunk and run a (properly sized!) extension cord from there to the wall outlet, and then run the "business end" of the charge cable back out the trunk. This compresses the seals around the trunk a lot, so I wouldn't want to do this regularly, but on the Volt, at least, the trunk does close securely and the cables can still move back and forth, so I don't think they're unduly strained. I did this once when I visited my sister one year and it worked fine, but that was when I owned a Volt. I haven't yet checked to see if the same trick would be possible in a Tesla.

The car end is always outside on mine, rain or shine (gen1). The rest is inside. I have charged occasionally in the rain with everything outside at RV parks and no harm has come to it. I wouldn't recommend it as a regular practice though. If the 14-50 is outside, build a shelter for it. There are lockable housings available for the 14-50, and some are large enough for the UMC.

One trick I heard of for the Chevy Volt is to put the EVSE in the trunk and run a (properly sized!) extension cord from there to the wall outlet, and then run the "business end" of the charge cable back out the trunk. This compresses the seals around the trunk a lot, so I wouldn't want to do this regularly, but on the Volt, at least, the trunk does close securely and the cables can still move back and forth, so I don't think they're unduly strained. I did this once when I visited my sister one year and it worked fine, but that was when I owned a Volt. I haven't yet checked to see if the same trick would be possible in a Tesla.
Reviving this thread, as my MYLR is expected to be delivered this year, and I'll need to use the UMC to charge outdoors. Did you ever try the trunk idea? Tesla folks at the dealership of course said it wouldn't work because the trunk seal is too tight to allow the cord through. Thanks in advance!

I keep a roll of big black plastic trash bags in the trunk. One of those is large enough that if it is loosely wrapped around (and around) the mobile connector and the plug & socket, with the ends open so it can get some draft, without getting much rain, it should be protected enough to be okay in even a heavy rain. Of course, don't lay it in a low spot that could fill with water. The small plastic tub upside down to lay it on mentioned earlier is a great addition. (Then use it to keep the trash bags in when you're not using them. . . . .)

Reviving this thread, as my MYLR is expected to be delivered this year, and I'll need to use the UMC to charge outdoors. Did you ever try the trunk idea? Tesla folks at the dealership of course said it wouldn't work because the trunk seal is too tight to allow the cord through. Thanks in advance!
Volt’s cord is much thinner compared to tesla UMC. Probably twice. I have both cars. Model 3‘s trunk auto shuts with a pretty good suction.

I recall reading a post here within the last few months about this exact question (keeping the UMC out of the elements while charging). I'll see if I can dig it up again.

edit: Haven't found it but if I recall, somebody linked a box that was on Amazon so I went there and asked for "weatherproof box for outdoor electronics" and this looks like something that might work:

Note that I believe that the original question concerned using an AC extension cord and that both the end of the cord and UMC needed to be protected from the elements. Not sure that a box like this would be useful if the UMC were plugged directly into the NEMA outlet (since the cord is so short).

Last edited: