Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using mobile phone to enter to Tesla Y becoming frustrating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla car less than a week. On 4 occasions now I have not been able to get into the car with just my phone. The first time this happened thankfully I was at home and I got my key card from the house when the screen asked me to use it. I now carry it in my wallet. I have tried using different entry options. Can anyone enlighten me why the phone my not open the car sometimes for no apparent reason? Tonight at a restaurant we visited the car locked when I walked away into the restaurant but when I came back later to get something from the boot it wouldn't open with the phone. I used the card to get in the car and open the boot. I have also once got in the car with the phone but needed the key card to start it.

As I said I have had the car less than a week but the inconsistency is frustrating.

Any thoughts welcome

I have had my Tesla car less than a week. On 4 occasions now I have not been able to get into the car with just my phone. The first time this happened thankfully I was at home and I got my key card from the house when the screen asked me to use it. I now carry it in my wallet. I have tried using different entry options. Can anyone enlighten me why the phone my not open the car sometimes for no apparent reason? Tonight at a restaurant we visited the car locked when I walked away into the restaurant but when I came back later to get something from the boot it wouldn't open with the phone. I used the card to get in the car and open the boot. I have also once got in the car with the phone but needed the key card to start it.

As I said I have had the car less than a week but the inconsistency is frustrating.

Any thoughts welcome
Can you clarify what you mean by the phone not opening the car? You mean when you open the app and hit the unlock button the car doesn't respond? Or that the Bluetooth auto-unlock isn't triggering?

If the phone does not let you unlock the door, try the followings:

1) Unlock your phone see if it works
2) Open Tesla App, see if the Phone Key is "connected", if it is, try the door again
3) If it is "disconnected", disable and enable bluetooth on your phone, see if Phone Key is connected now
4) Reboot your phone and go back to step 1

I think the problem comes from the phone's app and BT power management. I think some phone or OS does not like Tesla app running in the background/sleeping and still have access to BT all the time. When I had my Pixel 3, my phone works 100% all the time. After I upgraded to Pixel 7 last month, I had intermittent problem but usually will be resolved by step 3 (toggle BT). I don't have to reboot my phone or use my keycard (which I carry in my wallet) yet.

Reactions: MacZ

2) Open Tesla App, see if the Phone Key is "connected", if it is, try the door again
3) If it is "disconnected", disable and enable bluetooth on your phone, see if Phone Key is connected now

I think the problem comes from the phone's app and BT power management. I think some phone or OS does not like Tesla app running in the background/sleeping and still have access to BT all the time. When I had my Pixel 3, my phone works 100% all the time. After I upgraded to Pixel 7 last month, I had intermittent problem but usually will be resolved by step 3 (toggle BT). I don't have to reboot my phone or use my keycard (which I carry in my wallet) yet.
Thanks I'll try that next time. Seems to be OK atvthe moment.

I mean when I walk up to the car with the phone and attempt to open the drivers door it intermittently will not open. One time today when this happened I was able to open the car by unlocking it first on the app. It is all a bit wiered and inconsistent.
Happens some times for me too, actually did today. ( usually have to make sure i open app after a reboot, or off and on the bluetooth, today was a failed app update on phone) So its more a phone issue

I almost always need to have my phone actually unlocked. Even then, sometimes I need to toggle bluetooth off/on to get it to work.

This has been getting steadily worse after going to iOS 14 and 15.x. Prior to that, it worked much better. I think Apple has changed a lot about how bluetooth works in the background.

Going to iOS 16 soon, maybe it will help? IDK.

Trying to troubleshoot Bluetooth issues is an exercise in futility...sometimes it feels like performing a rain dance (hold phone at 73deg counter rotation to axis of Earth while looking at the nearest street lamp). I'm on iOS. 16.1.1 and have roughly a 95% success rate with Auto Unlock when I approach the car. The other 5%, unlocking through the app always works.
I mean when I walk up to the car with the phone and attempt to open the drivers door it intermittently will not open. One time today when this happened I was able to open the car by unlocking it first on the app. It is all a bit wiered and inconsistent.

Reactions: sfRonH
If your phone has older Android OS, you can set your Battery Usage -> System Usage -> Bluetooth to Unrestricted. I think that would let all apps use the Bluetooth anytime they want. Unfortunately the latest Android OS forces you to pick "Optimized". Probably something similar with iOS as well.

Most people don't know this, but you could use your phone as key card as well if you have NFC turned on. To try this, turn off your BT on the phone, and unlock the phone. Then just tap your phone on the pillar where you tap your keycard. The car would unlock and you could drive it if you put your phone on the center console where the key card goes. After you tried this, remember you have to lock your car again manually because auto walkaway lock doesn't work when you unlock it using the tap method. Without BT, it doesn't know you moved away from the car.

Reactions: Darmie
expand...

There’s seems to have been a change recently with one of the updates. I’ve had some issues as well especially when the phone is in my pocket. Mostly when I take it out and illuminate the screen/wake the phone it works. This has only been within the last month. Same thing happened with my M3 when I got it and it got better with time/updates.

There’s seems to have been a change recently with one of the updates. I’ve had some issues as well especially when the phone is in my pocket. Mostly when I take it out and illuminate the screen/wake the phone it works. This has only been within the last month. Same thing happened with my M3 when I got it and it got better with time/updates.
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I get the impression I need to focus on Bluetooth and others hare having some issues which seems to indicate its not just me..
My phone is a new S22 and I carry it in my hand when opening the car. It should work every time but doesn't but now I have a few options thanks to your comments. Having just got the car I am surprised that the amazing technology of today still.had some issues.

Note one of the recent updates introduced "driver unlock mode" which only unlocks the driver door. This may be set in one of the profiles (including Easy Entry). This would make it so none of the other doors unlock.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note if your phone has NFC you can use your phone like a keycard also.

You can also pop the frunk and trunk from the app directly (no need to do so on car screen) in the Controls section. You can press and hold to customize quick controls to add those on the main screen in the app (I personally have the trunk there also because that is frequently used):
How to add more 'Quick Control' shortcut icons to the Tesla app

Sometimes the car needs some time to wake up if it is asleep (you can hear a clunking noise in this case, which is the DC contactor connecting the high voltage battery). I find sometimes when I can't open the trunk immediately, opening one of the doors first works. If that fails, toggling bluetooth on and off and opening the Tesla app usually gets things working again.

Reactions: maurice@purslo