Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using mobile phone to enter to Tesla Y becoming frustrating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never have issues unless a sentry event is triggered. Once I see the screen displaying the sentry mode warning I know the door won’t unlock without manually opening the app (yes, it stays running in the background. I never close the app). Once I open the app, the door handle works again. Almost makes me want to buy the FOB, but it happens so rarely and the phone key is usually so great.

2nd Tesla and both had this problem for me on numerous iPhones. I keep my phone in my front right pocket and it's hit or miss. But I now move my hip with the phone in it close to the B pillar and it seems to make it work. This does appear to be a bluetooth power/range issue. Been doing this for 3 years and it still works.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
I have had my Tesla car less than a week. On 4 occasions now I have not been able to get into the car with just my phone. The first time this happened thankfully I was at home and I got my key card from the house when the screen asked me to use it. I now carry it in my wallet. I have tried using different entry options. Can anyone enlighten me why the phone my not open the car sometimes for no apparent reason? Tonight at a restaurant we visited the car locked when I walked away into the restaurant but when I came back later to get something from the boot it wouldn't open with the phone. I used the card to get in the car and open the boot. I have also once got in the car with the phone but needed the key card to start it.

As I said I have had the car less than a week but the inconsistency is frustrating.
You need to consider your phone as a cool device that can unlock and start your Tesla, not a key. The real key is the card key and you should always have the card in your wallet. The nice thing about a Tesla is it can be unlocked remotely through a computer or someone else's phone so you should technically always be able to get in but not necessarily start the car unless you have the card key available. Card keys are only $50 cdn for 2 shipped to your door from Tesla by the way. Probably $35 US. So getting some more is cheap and a good idea. I have one hidden in the car even though I carry a card key in my wallet, I also have a spare at home with my other spare keys. I found out only recently you can program several vehicles into 1 card so for those with 2 teslas, 1 card works for all your cars.

You need to consider your phone as a cool device that can unlock and start your Tesla, not a key. The real key is the card key and you should always have the card in your wallet. The nice thing about a Tesla is it can be unlocked remotely through a computer or someone else's phone so you should technically always be able to get in but not necessarily start the car unless you have the card key available. Card keys are only $50 cdn for 2 shipped to your door from Tesla by the way. Probably $35 US. So getting some more is cheap and a good idea. I have one hidden in the car even though I carry a card key in my wallet, I also have a spare at home with my other spare keys. I found out only recently you can program several vehicles into 1 card so for those with 2 teslas, 1 card works for all your cars.
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I get the impression I need to focus on Bluetooth and others hare having some issues which seems to indicate its not just me..
My phone is a new S22 and I carry it in my hand when opening the car. It should work every time but doesn't but now I have a few options thanks to your comments. Having just got the car I am surprised that the amazing technology of today still.had some issues.
We have S22 Ultra phones and we probably have a 100% success rate with them automatically unlocking our doors for our 2022 Model S and 2022 Model X. We had similar success with previous Android phones and our Model 3 and Model Y cars. We never need to take our phone out. It just works. If you continue to have problems, you might have Tesla check the Bluetooth antennas on your vehicle.

Reactions: cenwesi
We need the Retina scan feature.

1669915696694.png

Then when someone wants to steal your car they'll take your eyeball.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I have had my Tesla car less than a week. On 4 occasions now I have not been able to get into the car with just my phone. The first time this happened thankfully I was at home and I got my key card from the house when the screen asked me to use it. I now carry it in my wallet. I have tried using different entry options. Can anyone enlighten me why the phone my not open the car sometimes for no apparent reason? Tonight at a restaurant we visited the car locked when I walked away into the restaurant but when I came back later to get something from the boot it wouldn't open with the phone. I used the card to get in the car and open the boot. I have also once got in the car with the phone but needed the key card to start it.

As I said I have had the car less than a week but the inconsistency is frustrating.

Any thoughts welcome
Wait until your doesn’t work as well. It’s happened to me. Eventually it opens.

I get this a lot and it's really annoying

I made a service call and they read the logs and said it was because it couldn't see the phone and to make sure the app (i hate that word) was running

It failed just about every time yesterday, and the app was running so maybe I'll make another service call

I don't war jewelry but I am tempted to get the ring, I just need to figure out what size to get because "like sausages" wasn't on their list

Reactions: JHCCAZ
something had changed. I used to be able to walk to my MYLR locked car (with my S21 in my pocket) and open the car without any problem.
Now it's not working any more. I have to use the car key to open my MYLR , Not sure it's related to the Tesla software update 2022.44.2 or Updates on my cellphone
I've tried all suggestions in this forum and none working so far

Any further suggestions. Thanks. Attached is my print screen
Screenshot_20221211_110259_Tesla.jpg

something had changed. I used to be able to walk to my MYLR locked car (with my S21 in my pocket) and open the car without any problem.
Now it's not working any more. I have to use the car key to open my MYLR , Not sure it's related to the Tesla software update 2022.44.2 or Updates on my cellphone
I've tried all suggestions in this forum and none working so far

Any further suggestions. Thanks. Attached is my print screen
View attachment 883741
Says right there you have to allow nearby devices permission? Did you do that for Tesla app (permanently)? You can also try reinstalling, it should ask you to reestablish permissions.

Reactions: tstolze
I removed the Tesla app from my Samsung S21
Reinstalled the Tesla app and set up my phone key

Seem to be back to normal now. Let's see if if stays that way
Next time you just need to go to your phone's settings -> Apps -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device -> Enable.

Newer Android OS loves to turn off permission on your apps if it thinks you are not using them. It is super annoying.

Next time you just need to go to your phone's settings -> Apps -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device -> Enable.

Newer Android OS loves to turn off permission on your apps if it thinks you are not using them. It is super annoying.
(Next time you just need to go to your phone's settings -> Apps -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device -> Enable.)

Thanks I did try that, did not work. Maybe next time

Says right there you have to allow nearby devices permission? Did you do that for Tesla app (permanently)? You can also try reinstalling, it should ask you to reestablish permissions.
I have the S21 too and I followed that link in the screenshot and it seems to have solved the problem. I *think* I just recently, like just before the phone stopped working as a key, got an update pushed to the phone. That probaby switched something off and following that link switched it back on again