Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using mobile phone to enter to Tesla Y becoming frustrating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to depend on my FOB but it has been disconnecting lately and not allowing me access or disconnecting when I am driving and saying I will not be able to restart the car when I stop. Went to the iPhone as my key and no problems. It's always something isn't it? Still waiting on getting FM HD back but that's another thread.

Thanks everyone. I get the impression I need to focus on Bluetooth and others hare having some issues which seems to indicate its not just me..
My phone is a new S22 and I carry it in my hand when opening the car. It should work every time but doesn't but now I have a few options thanks to your comments. Having just got the car I am surprised that the amazing technology of today still.had some issues.
iPhone 16.1 90% success rate. Or open app which will wake up car

I used to depend on my FOB but it has been disconnecting lately and not allowing me access or disconnecting when I am driving and saying I will not be able to restart the car when I stop. Went to the iPhone as my key and no problems. It's always something isn't it? Still waiting on getting FM HD back but that's another thread.
Maybe the key fob is low on battery? I have to change my Model X's key fobs batteries about every 1.5 to 2 years even on the fob that rarely used.

(Next time you just need to go to your phone's settings -> Apps -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device -> Enable.)

Thanks I did try that, did not work. Maybe next time
My Tesla App on my Pixel 7 just got updated this morning and I got the same message! Never seen that before and I did the App -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device and sure enough it was disabled. I enabled it and then it worked fine. I don't know why it was turned off or maybe it never needed that permission before. Very odd.

My Tesla App on my Pixel 7 just got updated this morning and I got the same message! Never seen that before and I did the App -> Tesla App -> Permission -> Nearby Device and sure enough it was disabled. I enabled it and then it worked fine. I don't know why it was turned off or maybe it never needed that permission before. Very odd.
at least we all learned something hahaha

• Funny
Reactions: Need
I mean when I walk up to the car with the phone and attempt to open the drivers door it intermittently will not open. One time today when this happened I was able to open the car by unlocking it first on the app. It is all a bit wiered and inconsistent.
Or
Trying to troubleshoot Bluetooth issues is an exercise in futility...sometimes it feels like performing a rain dance (hold phone at 73deg counter rotation to axis of Earth while looking at the nearest street lamp). I'm on iOS. 16.1.1 and have roughly a 95% success rate with Auto Unlock when I approach the car. The other 5%, unlocking through the app always works.
same for me. When it doesn’t work, I usually just move around a bit, pull my phone out of my pocket and then it works.