Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Model Y Charging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't make sense of this. If you are talking about the mobile charging cable that plugs into an outlet, those should be exactly the same product. Neither one should be longer. And that is the only one that has ever been included with the 3 or Y. So what are you referring to, which are these two cables that you say are different lengths? Are you talking about a wall connector versus a mobile connector?

Reactions: davewill
Both originally supplied cables.

I can't make sense of this. If you are talking about the mobile charging cable that plugs into an outlet, those should be exactly the same product. Neither one should be longer. And that is the only one that has ever been included with the 3 or Y. So what are you referring to, which are these two cables that you say are different lengths? Are you talking about a wall connector versus a mobile connector?

I agree that it doesn't make sense for one to be longer. It also doesn't make sense for them to work differently. Maybe some pictures would help.

Edit: We have had issues where a piece of plastic has broken off of the charging port and gotten stuck in the plug. The result is a plug that only works on the car that the broken piece fits into. Once you dig the piece out, everything is fine again. In that case, the plug doesn't fit in at all.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for one to be longer. It also doesn't make sense for them to work differently. Maybe some pictures would help.

Edit: We have had issues where a piece of plastic has broken off of the charging port and gotten stuck in the plug. The result is a plug that only works on the car that the broken piece fits into. Once you dig the piece out, everything is fine again. In that case, the plug doesn't fit in at all.
The OP should look inside the charge handle pin holes on his longer charge connector and see if the two bigger holes look different. One might have a broken plastic piece that belongs to his Model Y charge port pins. That could explain why it works on the Model Y, but would keep the plug from fully inserting on the Model 3.

If there's a broken piece in one of the pin holes, unplug the charge connector from the electrical outlet and use a pick or thin piece of wire to pull it out. Then it would be useable for both. Eventually, they can have Tesla replace the broken piece in the Model Y charge port, but it would still be useable for now.

Both originally supplied cables.
I'm kind of stuck with giving any useful suggestions because this really doesn't make sense now. If those are the cables that came with the Model 3 and the Model Y, then they are exactly the same thing and can't be different lengths. Could you post pictures of what these are, so we can figure out what you are using?

Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm kind of stuck with giving any useful suggestions because this really doesn't make sense now. If those are the cables that came with the Model 3 and the Model Y, then they are exactly the same thing and can't be different lengths. Could you post pictures of what these are, so we can figure out what you are using?

I agree, its not making any sense the way its written. We are all guessing, but my guess at this, is that the OP is talking about wall connectors, not mobile connectors (which they bought when they got the vehicle, not supplied with the car), and one of the wall connectors has a shorter cable than the other because they purchased them that way.

Without the OP providing more information, or some pictures of the equipment, we are all sort of grasping at straws though.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Troll post?

I have a pretty good nose for that, and I would say in this situation, there is very very little chance thats the case, given OPs other posts here on TMC. Whats a lot more likely is that they figured out whatever the issue is, and did not update the thread on whatever the resolution was. This is pretty common (for people to ask a question, figure out the answer but not update what it was).

Reactions: Rocky_H