Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using my phone as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my phone as my key 95% of the time and often forget to bring the fob. I am afraid that one day I will get into an area with no cell service or break my cell phone on a trip and not be able to restart the car.

Does anyone have any ideas on anything I can do if that happens? Is there any kind of device that can help me?

I know the obvious answer is to bring the fob, but I would like some ideas just in case I run into this issue.

Thanks

I find that funny because occasionally my phone can't connect to my car all.

The root cause most of the time has been the cell connection failed to restore after coming out of a parking garage. Where I have to reset the center console computer.

You could get one of those magnetically mounted key cases. Just make sure it's shielded (to prevent the car from communicating with it). Then hide that somewhere underneath the car.

Maybe with an HW2 car Tesla can implement a car starting system where you not only have to wave at it from outside the car to let it know its you, but you also have to do a funky dance as a secret handshake. To make sure it's not a picture of you tricking it.

Last edited:
If you can get to a phone you can ring Tesla's help line. Once they confirm you are the car's owner they can open and start the car remotely. But that assumes the car is somewhere with cell service.

Maybe one day Tesla will offer a watch that doubles as a fob.

You could keep a fob with a battery removed (and the battery) somewhere in the frunk, since I believe you can open the frunk even if the car is locked. You should familiarize yourself with that procedure though (I think there is a latch somewhere?)

This is one of those times where, as great as technology can be, it actually can work to our inconvenience.

Keep the fob handy. It's no big deal if you are just around town, I would think. However, why even play with the idea while traveling too far from home?

If you can get to a phone you can ring Tesla's help line. Once they confirm you are the car's owner they can open and start the car remotely. But that assumes the car is somewhere with cell service.

Maybe one day Tesla will offer a watch that doubles as a fob.

Not if the car doesn't have cell service. My P85D is disconnected about a 1/3rd of the time right in the middle of San Jose even though I'm in a 5 bar AT&T area.

How to open and start your car with a dead fob battery:

Q: What happens if the battery is dead in the key? - Tesla Motors Wiki

Why do I mention this? Because the transponder, which is in the fob and is really tiny still works even without a battery to gain entrance and to start the car.

So you could get an extra fob and have Tesla program it and take the RFID transponder out and incase that in a laminate or something and keep it in your wallet. Won't unlock the car remotely but when placed on the windshield in the right place will unlock the car and then placed in the cupholder will start the car.

You could keep a fob with a battery removed (and the battery) somewhere in the frunk, since I believe you can open the frunk even if the car is locked. You should familiarize yourself with that procedure though (I think there is a latch somewhere?)

But what if a burglar opens the frunk and gets the key? Especially since a recent video with a bunch of views showed this recently.

Just put one of these on with a combination lock - problem solved:

car-door-padlock-latch.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: TexLaw and ev-now
But what if a burglar opens the frunk and gets the key? Especially since a recent video with a bunch of views showed this recently.

One could tuck the key away so it wasn't easily found in the frunk. Just like those magnetic boxes that go under a car. It's always going to be a security concern short of the OP actually carrying the keys with them.