Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Phone as Key - Stolen Phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that's not there, now, in part because when I reread it I also found it a bit too snarky (even though it was meant to be taken at face value, i.e. "let me give you a short summary if you don't want to read the manual").

I insisted in providing a link to the manual and to point out where you can find it (together with some useful videos) because that might be useful for other things as well.

But I'll be sure to remember next time to just think RTFM and leave you in blissful ignorance, since that would be far less snarky. And apparently, it's more important to be avoid being snarky than to try to be helpful or not [and yes, that is me when I dial my snark level up a few notches.]

Appreciate the assistance. Was unaware also, since I don't have the car, that there was an online version of the manual

Exactly why I provided a link. And do give the videos on the page where you "manage" your order a look too: some things in the manual are rather hard to imagine if you're not sitting behind the steering wheel (or looking at the console).

What happens if yo uare using your phone as a key and its stolen? If the thief knows your car, they can now take your car.

How do you quickly remove the phone from the car if you no longer have the phone with the app?

The official reply for this is use your card key,
and disablethe MOBILE ACCESS from the console's security menu. This disabled app access completely.
And remove the phone from the key list, this disabled the Bluetooth key

To transfer the phone access to another phone you have to call or visit Tesla dealership.

Enable PIN to drive feature if this is a huge concern. Thief has access to car but cannot drive it away.

I have PIN to drive setup.
If they have my car, phone, keycard and my money. They still can’t drive off with the car without the 5 digit pin.
I can log in with another phone (wife’s) remotely and after Tesla passcode turn on the car type pin and drive it home without above objects.

Reactions: sgreenstonenj
Firstly, I am not offended one bit if you tell me to RTFM. (as every new owner should!)

Secondly, I am a very basic low tech dinasour who mostly waits for new features, new updates, new tech to be completely wrung out and essential deemed to be made bullet proof by y’all sorting out weaknesses, security loopholes, and edge cases before I jump on board. My M3 has all of the bells and whistles but I am not even close relying on the constantly overhyped updated AP capabilities even after over one year ownership of an M3 and 6+ year (still LOVIN' it) P85.

Thirdly, no need to be so darn overly PC sensitive and to find ones safe space.

Fourthly, my iPhone SE requires thumb print to open, pin to drive, I turn off my wi-fi when I leave my house and I only toggle my blue tooth on when I am listening to music, my M3 is not set up (but I could be wrong) to allow entry to my car unless I open the door via the app thus always requiring my card key to gain entry.

I don’t know if any of the above helps the op with their security questions.

btw, I have found that the smartzpanz IT folks on this forum do a great job of providing this
lazy gear-head owner such as myself accurate cliff notes versions on operating an M3 and I thank you for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
Like any other ice car if someone stole your keys...and know your car...they can take your car.

Unlike any other ice car you can just delete the phone from your cars settings...and not have to visit a dealer to delete and reprogram a new key.

You can turn off mobile connectivity like others have suggested...but I would change your tesla password ASAP as well.

I have PIN to drive setup.
If they have my car, phone, keycard and my money. They still can’t drive off with the car without the 5 digit pin.
I can log in with another phone (wife’s) remotely and after Tesla passcode turn on the car type pin and drive it home without above objects.
"5 digit pin"??? Mine is just 4 digits...I got robbed! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: elf9 and Mrcarcrazy
Enable PIN to drive.
Locking the phone doesn’t help depending on your settings.
My phone doesn’t need to be unlocked to unlock the car, but you would need to know my PIN to drive it away OR my Tesla account credentials to by pass the PIN.