Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Porsche Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m hoping for some words of comfort from a more tech-savvy member than me …

I noticed a Porsche charger at a hotel and thought that I would give it a try. After all, “What’s the worst that could happen” (!)

My 2016 pre-facelift MS only has the small Type 2 connector ... which took the Porsche plug. After a few handshake messages on the unit, charging started at 16A.

I looked in the car and saw that the in-car display showed 235V and 16/16A … quite normal and expected. However the charge rate was showing as 10kW … NOT the expected 4kW (as 16A x 235V = 3.7kW).

The “time remaining” seemed to reflect 10kW too. If the 16A is correct (being something that the car and charger agree on) then the voltage must surely be much higher than the 235V that the car is “expecting” (and designed for). I decided to disconnect. I then noticed that the charging plug had a small etching on it of a high voltage number – ISTR ~ 400V. Perhaps I dodged a bullet (or a conflagration !).

Can anyone explain what was going on please … and is it safe ?

Does anyone routinely use Porsche chargers ?

FWIW my car has had the CCS upgrade and therefore a new module inside the car – I don’t know if this has any bearing on Level 2 charging or not.

Reactions: spdpsba
On my trip from Bordeaux to South Spain, which I do three or four times a year, I stop at a hotel in Zaragoza which has a Porsche charger. I use it every time for overnight charging as no else ever seems to be needing it. Never had a problem.

Just noticed you have an S - mine is a 3.

Yes, but you won't get the full benefit

www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector

Vehicle230 V Single-phase230 V Three-phase delta400 V Three-phase wye
Model 37.4 kW (32 A)11 kW (28 A)11 kW (16 A)
Model S and Model X*7.4 kW (32 A)8.5 kW (32 A)16.6 kW (24 A)

Some (older) Model S / X had single charger and they are limited to 11kW
Are you saying although my display on the car is showing 12kW it's only charging at 11kW ( which I know is the maximum it should be)?

Are you saying although my display on the car is showing 12kW it's only charging at 11kW ( which I know is the maximum it should be)?
Nominal voltages e.g. UK 230v doesn't mean that the mains is at 230 volts all the time. In fact much/most of the UK is 240+. Our own mains hovers around 247 to 250v. (One of the reasons is that older hardware was built to different standards ... if its not above 253v then it's regarded as being within spec.)

Also bear in mind that the car display will be rounding up or down so it might be 11.6kW when displaying 12kW or when reading 11kW it might be 10.8kW for example. The car is clever enough to know that it shouldn't accept a an inappropriate charging rate ... it isn't a Honda E !

Nominal voltages e.g. UK 230v doesn't mean that the mains is at 230 volts all the time. In fact much/most of the UK is 240+. Our own mains hovers around 247 to 250v. (One of the reasons is that older hardware was built to different standards ... if its not above 253v then it's regarded as being within spec.)

Also bear in mind that the car display will be rounding up or down so it might be 11.6kW when displaying 12kW or when reading 11kW it might be 10.8kW for example. The car is clever enough to know that it shouldn't accept a an inappropriate charging rate ... it isn't a Honda E !
I wasn't probably clear enough, the comment previously said you wouldn't get the full benefit, but clearly you do ( apart from any rounding).

I wasn't probably clear enough, the comment previously said you wouldn't get the full benefit, but clearly you do ( apart from any rounding).
Indeed. What you don't get in most recent Teslas is the full 22kW that 3 phase charge points are usually capable of supplying. Some earlier Model S could take the full whack but we only get "half".