Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using same size different brand wheels and its effect on AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow Tesla owners.
I am here with another question.
I googled a bit and there are different ideas out there. But most of them are for 4x4 combustion engines.
I couldn't find anything about electricle vehicles, let alone Teslas.

I found a second hand 21" Arachnid for quite a good price and I am tempted so I am looking into buying tires..

So, the question is..

Would it be a problem to use 2x 265/35/21 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 for the rear wheels, and 2x 245/35/21 Continental EcoContact 6 front wheels?

The reason I am asking this is for consumption efficiency.

Continental EcoContact 6:
245/35/21 EU LABEL -> Wet grip: A / Fuel Efficiency: B
265/35/21 size doesn't exist

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5:
245/35/21 EU LABEL -> Wet grip: A / Fuel Efficiency: C
265/35/21 EU LABEL -> Wet grip: A / Fuel Efficiency: B

You see, if I go for a set of Goodyear, I end up with Fuel efficiency C on the front tires.
I can't go 4x Continental EcoContact because 265/35/21 doesnt exist.

So If I go Goodyear for rear and Conti for front, I get B A labels for both front and rear wheels.
But the question is, is the fact that front and rear wheels will have different tire patterns dangerous for driving dynamics and / or harmful for the car's mechanics?

You aren't supposed to mix tires, ever. That could just be for marketing, but it's the usual suggestion.

As long as the tires on each axle are the same size it should not be a problem for the car. If they are different then they spin at different rates which can cause issues with the differential, etc.

The stock staggered front/rear are different heights, but within acceptable difference (3% max)

You aren't supposed to mix tires, ever. That could just be for marketing, but it's the usual suggestion.

As long as the tires on each axle are the same size it should not be a problem for the car. If they are different then they spin at different rates which can cause issues with the differential, etc.

The stock staggered front/rear are different heights, but within acceptable difference (3% max)

Yess, the diameter and rpm difference problems I am aware of.
But in this case it would be front axle one type, rear axle another type tires of same size / radius.

Just the pattern will be different and that makes me curious.

Last edited:
But the question is, is the fact that front and rear wheels will have different tire patterns dangerous for driving dynamics and / or harmful for the car's mechanics?

No, there is no danger. You should always put your best performing tires in the rear. This is generally the advice if someone replaces only two tires of a matched set, but you won't have an issue. It certainly isn't dangerous. However, It is still recommended to run matching tires for the best performance.

Reactions: tezcatcatl

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 | Luxurious comfort tyre | Goodyear tyre

Goodyear's own website lists them as summer tires. (Zomer means summer in Dutch).
And the tread also doesn't look like 4 season tires at all to me :S

I have a 75D running a different brand tire in the rear. As a matter of fact, the SC wanted to sell me a set of rear tires which would have been different than the brand up front. So if they were willing to do it then I don't think its an issue.

Reactions: tezcatcatl
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 | Luxurious comfort tyre | Goodyear tyre

Goodyear's own website lists them as summer tires. (Zomer means summer in Dutch).
And the tread also doesn't look like 4 season tires at all to me :S
Very weird. The Tesla Model Y w/ optional 20" Induction rims are mounted with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 All-Seasons (M+S = Mud & Snow)

See bottom of tire here:

IMG_9363.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 9.45.06 AM.png