Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here ever tested out Using an Internal SATA SSD via USB to SATA III adapter (for dashcam/sentry)?

It seems to me that, in theory, this should be the ultimate solution for performance, durability and resistance to extreme temperatures. I can only find one person (has a tiny 98 views on YouTube) who's ever done it, and apparently it works. However, I can't find a follow up 'How Happy The Guy Is About It' video or content.

I'm going to try it -just because- but I've only owned a Tesla for a few months now, and it's a bit stunning to see so little info on the concept in the Tesla community.

Has anyone here ever tested out Using an Internal SATA SSD via USB to SATA III adapter (for dashcam/sentry)?

It seems to me that, in theory, this should be the ultimate solution for performance, durability and resistance to extreme temperatures. I can only find one person (has a tiny 98 views on YouTube) who's ever done it, and apparently it works. However, I can't find a follow up 'How Happy The Guy Is About It' video or content.

I'm going to try it -just because- but I've only owned a Tesla for a few months now, and it's a bit stunning to see so little info on the concept in the Tesla community.
I’ve had my 2022 model y for 6 months and my car is parked in the sun. The usb tesla provides is made for high heat environments and many write cycles too. Save your $$$ till it breaks (if ever) or until you really need a larger usb due to attempting dual partition of dashcam and music on same usb device. I added data capable usb-c port so my glovebox is dedicated to dashcam and my center usb are used for music and game controllers.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I've been using a Crucial MX500 500GB SSD with a SKL Tech usb3.0 to Sata adapter for about 9 months now. No issues with everyday recording or sentry. Though I don't use sentry that often. The SSD was something I already had laying around so it was just a few bucks for the adapter so I thought I would try it.

Most consumer SSDs actually don't have a good temperature range for automotive use, 0-70C is typical. You can easily exceed those limits in a car cabin, at least at the lower end in the winter. And a temperature rating on an SSD needs to be respected, they will often be completely non-functional outside of that range since there is so much internal error-correction going on that is temperature-dependent. Something like an Sandisk Extreme SD card is a far better choice. For example they have a -25ºC to 85 ºC quoted temp range, and are designed for automotive dash cam use.

My Samsung SSD 850 Pro has been working fine for three years including single digit F days. That said @smogne41 is correct - it is only rated to 32F for operation so I was initially a bit skeptical.

Just posting the temp specs of the usb device Tesla uses and noting it uses micro sd memory suited for many writes as many think it doesn’t.
The usb which comes with tesla is a Samsung bar plus . It uses micro SD card memory media which is often used in video recording devices since the devices write data often.
The specs say it can withstand temperatures of -40C thru 85C (-104F thru 185F) see first image fine print. I have also attached the more detailed specs. You can buy versions which have more memory too. Surprisingly the Samsung bar plus is not too expensive either. $20-$60 based on storage capacity.
USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4AM  Samsung US.png
USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4AM  Samsung US 2.png

Just posting the temp specs of the usb device Tesla uses and noting it uses micro sd memory suited for many writes as many think it doesn’t.
The usb which comes with tesla is a Samsung bar plus . It uses micro SD card memory media which is often used in video recording devices since the devices write data often.
The specs say it can withstand temperatures of -40C thru 85C (-104F thru 185F) see first image fine print. I have also attached the more detailed specs. You can buy versions which have more memory too. Surprisingly the Samsung bar plus is not too expensive either. $20-$60 based on storage capacity.
View attachment 838707View attachment 838708
Thanks just ordered one!

Are all the MicroSD to USB adapters the same? There's a fair amount of R/W speed comparisons along with the operating temperature range, but does anyone know if the adapter themselves play a limiting role? The MicroSD seems to be the smarter option when you think about replacement cost. $20 now and going down over time for the extreme ones is a no brainer compared to a rugged SSD.

Are all the MicroSD to USB adapters the same? There's a fair amount of R/W speed comparisons along with the operating temperature range, but does anyone know if the adapter themselves play a limiting role? The MicroSD seems to be the smarter option when you think about replacement cost. $20 now and going down over time for the extreme ones is a no brainer compared to a rugged SSD.
I have been using this one for 2 years (no issues):
It was literally just the least expensive one I could find on amazon at the time that had a decent number of good reviews.