Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using scheduled charging M3. Start and stop. No pre-conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve looked on the forum and there’s a lot of detail but I can’t seem to find the answer. I don’t use any of the third party apps or my home charger to control charging.
So, I just want to set my scheduled start charging time to say 2am during off peak. That’s easy enough done in the car. I don’t want to set a departure time or worry about cabin pre-conditioning turning on. Lets say that i just want to charge until 5am and then stop. How do I do that please without setting a departure time (and then this seems to turn on pre-conditioning?)
Sorry if I’m being a numpty but I can’t see how to set this up.

Sadly the car just doesn't have this functionality. The only way I've found to be able to reliably start and stop charging at set times is to use a timer controlled charge point. I have a time switch in mine, set to enable it during the 7 hour off peak period, so just use that to control charging.

Not sure why there isn't the ability to set both a charge start time and charge stop time in the car, but the Tesla isn't alone in having this oddball arrangement, as the BMW i3 works the same way.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve looked on the forum and there’s a lot of detail but I can’t seem to find the answer. I don’t use any of the third party apps or my home charger to control charging.
So, I just want to set my scheduled start charging time to say 2am during off peak. That’s easy enough done in the car. I don’t want to set a departure time or worry about cabin pre-conditioning turning on. Lets say that i just want to charge until 5am and then stop. How do I do that please without setting a departure time (and then this seems to turn on pre-conditioning?)
What charger are you using?

Either set a start and stop with your charge point (if it allows that) or just set the start time on the car and allow for the number of hours by setting your percentage limit on the car/app. I know that I can reliably get 28kWh in the 4 hour super-cheap Octopus off peak period and for my SR+ I know that comes within approx 56% ... so if I want to keep within the cheap hours I just make sure not to try and add more than 56% in any one charge session. I'm plugged in most nights so it's never a problem... topping up rather than trying to charge the whole battery in one go.

Either set a start and stop with your charge point (if it allows that) or just set the start time on the car and allow for the number of hours by setting your percentage limit on the car/app. I know that I can reliably get 28kWh in the 4 hour super-cheap Octopus off peak period and for my SR+ I know that comes within approx 56% ... so if I want to keep within the cheap hours I just make sure not to try and add more than 56% in any one charge session. I'm plugged in most nights so it's never a problem... topping up rather than trying to charge the whole battery in one go.
Great. Thank you

Great. Thank you
Btw how do I start a ‘conversation’ with you?

Our cheap rate is midnight to 6am.

That window is normally enough, even on 240v/30a, to put enough charge on the car overnight. So we just have the charging start at 00:15

On the rare occasions when battery level is unusually (for us) low, we adjust the target charge percentage to stop at around 06:00. Easy arithmetic since the car charges at a bit over 7%/hr at home.

Ex: If arriving home from a road trip with 15% remaining charge, set the target charge for the first night to 60%, then back to normal afterwards.

Our cheap rate is midnight to 6am.

That window is normally enough, even on 240v/30a, to put enough charge on the car overnight. So we just have the charging start at 00:15

On the rare occasions when battery level is unusually (for us) low, we adjust the target charge percentage to stop at around 06:00. Easy arithmetic since the car charges at about 7%/hr at home.
Great. Thank you.