Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Sense monitor with solar & Powerwall

rubch

Jun 25, 2021
Orinda, CA
Hi everyone, I just had Tesla solar & storage installed. I also had and still have a Sense monitor. Officially, Sense does not support applications with storage, but has anyone successfully modified their Sense setup to work with solar & storage? Thanks in advance for any advice!

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I dont believe it works that well from what I remember, but here are some threads you can review:

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Ah thanks. I didn't see relevant threads pop up when I was creating the thread, but I'll be sure to try the search next time. Thanks!

No problem. The TL ; DR from those threads from what I remember is, sense does not work "well" with solar/ PV + storage. I didnt review them again when I pulled them back up, but think I remember the general gist of the conversations.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
I have Sense. Since I have a dedicated "generation panel" (it has all the solar and powerwalls) I put the Sense "solar" CTs on the feed to that panel.

What Sense sees is the net of batteries and the Powerwall. This means I have "solar" at night (Powerwalls discharging) and during early part of my day the solar being reported is what is powering the loads.

It's an interesting data set.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC