Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using SMT "nominal full pack" to figure degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
Sorry if this has been covered, I just want to make sure I understand .
My NOM FULL PACK is currently 92.7 . It has dropped from 95.1% on my 1st scan in May of 2020.

To figure degradation, do I use 7.3% or do I take the 5% buffer out and call it 2.3% degradation ?
Since my 1st scan had it inside the 5% I am afraid the answer is 7.3% degradation ?

Also at 93.7 % SOC (today) my battery voltage is only at 395 volts , does that seem right ?

Sorry , I know there is a lot of threads about this and I have read a lot! This is just such a great place for getting direct answers so thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20201018-094550.jpg

Sorry , I can not edit my orig post , but I meant to type "KWH" not percentage in the second sentence ..

"My NOM FULL PACK is currently 92.7 KWH . It has dropped from 95.1 KWH on my 1st scan in May of 2020"

I am surprised no one has answered though ...maybe its because I answered my own question!! lol

Just like confirmation on which it is- 7% degradation by KWH with SMT or only about 3% based on Teslafi range .
Of course I did get an update last month which increased my range calculations up almost 20 miles so I think that throws Tesalfi off since it is based on "starting" range reported.

Anyway, any input would be welcome to help me clarify what I should be considering my reported degradation to be

thanks again

Sorry , I can not edit my orig post , but I meant to type "KWH" not percentage in the second sentence ..

"My NOM FULL PACK is currently 92.7 KWH . It has dropped from 95.1 KWH on my 1st scan in May of 2020"

I am surprised no one has answered though ...maybe its because I answered my own question!! lol

Just like confirmation on which it is- 7% degradation by KWH with SMT or only about 3% based on Teslafi range .
Of course I did get an update last month which increased my range calculations up almost 20 miles so I think that throws Tesalfi off since it is based on "starting" range reported.

Anyway, any input would be welcome to help me clarify what I should be considering my reported degradation to be

thanks again

You've got this mythical 100 number in your head that isn't real. The current batteries (including yours) are not a 100kWh pack. They seemed to start around 98kWh Nominal Full Pack, of which 93kWh was usable. Older ones had ~103 of which 4 was buffer. So if you want to be pessimistic, you probably have 92.7 / 98 = 94.6% of the original capacity, or ~5.4% degradation. Since your first actual measurement, you're at 92.7 / 95.1 = 97.5%, or only 2.5% degradation.

However, I would wager money that your nominal full pack is not ACTUALLY 92.7. If you run it down to 10%, and let it sit/sleep. and then charge it slowly (not at a supercharger) to 95% or even 100%, and then let it fall asleep, you'll probably return to a reading of 95kWh.

Mine fluctuates between 93.0 and 95.5 - after any long trip, when I give the battery a chance to go through the full range and recalibrate, it goes back into the mid-95s.

Reactions: Alset2