Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using speed limit mode to get around TACC flaws.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonderful discovery this week!

When driving at night the current software is nowhere near as good as the software that the car had when I got it from the factory, and thinks about half of the cars on the road in the oncoming lane are actually homicidal maniacs in my lane. My normal work around for this was to set Auto Pilot and dial the TACC down to 10 mph and control my speed manually with the accelerator pedal. Now, using the speed limit function I have "virtual" dumb cruise control! I just set it to my normal max speed for my commute and put my foot on the accelerator... no more random slow downs!

I think I will disable Bluetooth connection to my phone and listen to my podcasts / music via ear buds so the incessant "you are about to die!!!!" beeps don't interrupt my audio.

It is almost as good as having a dumb car!

Keith

PS: True cruise control is only one step away... get a stick to wedge down the accelerator :D

I hate to say it but I get where the OP is coming from. Basically set the speed limiter to what you want, mash your foot to the floor and it maintains that speed nicely. Much easier than trying to modulate your speed yourself and keep it at let's say 70 mph and account for all the terrain changes. The throttle is pretty responsive, especially in the sport mode on my MYLRAB and TACC without radar, is FAR worse than the demo cars I drove that had radar too.

So maybe I got sucked in and thought the OP was serious but I've been contemplating something like this myself. I don't say I get several a day of the you are going to die on the freeway warnings but I definitely get them several times a week for absolutely NO apparent reason unless it the Y is afraid of shadows and some overpasses.

I get what @Fourdoor means and do the same when AP gets really annoying.
For me its one road where it just can't get the correct speed and is constantly slowing down from 70 to 35 because it thinks the speed limit has changed.
The "fix/workaround" is to enable AP to you get auto steer, but manually keep the speed with your right foot.
or the other way around is to just use TACC and manually steer.
Using the auto steer with manual accelerator get you a smoother drive.

I don't (a) understand what problem this is supposed to fix; (b) understand how this is any better than simply driving without any type of cruise control activated; (c) know if you're joking.

I let the car steer itself on Auto Pilot, and I just rest my foot on the accelerator not having to adjust speed... how is this not better than driving without AP?

The problem it solves is that at night with the current software the car perceives about half of the cars on the road in the oncoming lane as dire threats to my safety and hits the brakes. This is much better than the previous software that perceived 90% of oncoming traffic as a threat, but it isn't good enough to use without some kind of work around.

I just got a new software update about an hour ago and I am hoping it mitigates this problem to the point where I can drive at night on Auto Pilot, that is how it was on the software I had from the factory... but if it doesn't, I have a wonderful work around now.

Keith

I hate to say it but I get where the OP is coming from. Basically set the speed limiter to what you want, mash your foot to the floor and it maintains that speed nicely. Much easier than trying to modulate your speed yourself and keep it at let's say 70 mph and account for all the terrain changes. The throttle is pretty responsive, especially in the sport mode on my MYLRAB and TACC without radar, is FAR worse than the demo cars I drove that had radar too.

So maybe I got sucked in and thought the OP was serious but I've been contemplating something like this myself. I don't say I get several a day of the you are going to die on the freeway warnings but I definitely get them several times a week for absolutely NO apparent reason unless it the Y is afraid of shadows and some overpasses.

The sad part is that it isn't really a "radar vs no radar" thing. The software I had when I received the car worked almost flawlessly.

Then they messed with it and it was significantly worse (braking for nothing during day and night driving). The last update (one I was using when I made the original post) made it so the problem only happens a few times during daylight, but it is useless trying to drive on AP at night.

My conclusion is they are trying to look further down the road with the cameras to compensate for not having radar, and at night when the car looks way down the road it can not tell if the oncoming head lights are in the opposite lane, or if it is a car in my lane trying to kill me with a head on collision, so it defaults to trying to save my life. I appreciate the thought, but the execution is flawed :)

Even a human driver can't tell what lane oncoming headlights are in 1/4 mile away or more, so we as humans ignore them until they get closer... I think Tesla is adjusting the AP system to emulate this behavior and I can't wait until they get it right.

Keith

Reactions: BogStandard
I get what @Fourdoor means and do the same when AP gets really annoying.
For me its one road where it just can't get the correct speed and is constantly slowing down from 70 to 35 because it thinks the speed limit has changed.
The "fix/workaround" is to enable AP to you get auto steer, but manually keep the speed with your right foot.
or the other way around is to just use TACC and manually steer.
Using the auto steer with manual accelerator get you a smoother drive.

And using the speed limit function gets you rock steady speed as well as smooth auto steer... when you manually control speed you are not 100% accurate :)

Keith

PS: I don't know if you can use the phone app to turn off speed limit mode while the car is in motion or not... I will have to try that out to see if I can adjust the set speed.

I am on the second from absolute newest version for my LR. It didn't solve crap. Maybe a little better but a long way to go still.
I was on 2021.32.21 until today, now I am on 2021.36.5.1 What software are you on?

I find it interesting that in release notes they never make mention of adjustments to how TACC's or AP behave... you just have to download the update and roll the dice.

Keith

Last edited:
I've not had that happen on the freeways.. Only if I try taking in city streets or 2 lane roadways, that it changes speeds a lot, but TACC is more intended for freeways, not complicated roads. Even FSD is never going to be hands off autonomous, even on freeways in its current design. But close..