Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using / splitting an existing NEMA 14-50 socket between charging and other uses

Jjrss

Mar 9, 2021
Tacoma
I don't see any overcurrent devices on the splitter you linked. Just sayin'.

BTW, I had not originally fully read your post. The fact that there's only one outlet on the circuit is fine. I'm not a big fan of the splitter, but you do you. Its >probably< not gonna burn your house down while you sleep, and that's good enough for me. :)
I have that splitter, and you are correct it doesnt have an overcurrent device.

But assuming his 14-50 circuit is to code for EV charging, and has a GFCI 50A breaker, he really shouldn't need an additional overcurrent device in line.

I use the splitter at a vacation spot that has a 50A circuit for my Travel Trailer. The only time I'm not charging is if/when I need the AC on in the trailer. But I also have a 15A outlet right next to the power post so I can trickle charge on hot days.

If he is only ever going to use 15A of the 14-50, he should really just get a long extension cord and use the free standard outlet adapter that comes with the car.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC