TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Using Stalk to confirm you are paying attention while car is on Auto Pilot

Discussion in 'Model X' started by macd1995, Sep 20, 2019.

1. macd1995

macd1995 Member

I did it by mistake... but find it simplier that gently shaking the wheel. Didn't see it in a thread or a Google search, so hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

2. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

Any action on the steering wheel will acknowledge you are paying attention. This includes the scroll/push buttons, stalks, and obviously slightly turning the wheel.

3. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

You are doing it wrong if you think you need to "shake" the wheel. It just needs a slight bit of tension.
    Just put one hand between 2-4 O'clock or 8-10 O'clock to keep it happy. Two hands in those positions often work too, but sometimes if it's perfectly balanced it might not sense it.

• Helpful x 1
  4. DVCLIFFORD

DVCLIFFORD Member

I keep my left hand on the wheel or rest it on my knee and scroll the radio volume up and down every 20 seconds, or so.

5. Bridor

Bridor Member

I actually tested this out thoroughly on a recent road trip. If I used the stalk 15 times in a row when the warning would pop up, it would dismiss the message. After that, the warning would pop up every three seconds until I put just a little tension on the steering wheel. This was on an autopilot 1 vehicle.

Brent

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

AP stalk or turn signal stalk. How/direction is it being pushed? ie. if AP stalk do you go up 1 MPH and then down 1 MPH?

7. Bridor

Bridor Member

I pulled the AP stalk towards me once.

• Helpful x 2
  8. MD JD

MD JD Member

The easier way is to tune the volume, up or down.

9. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Exactly. I stumbled on it and i foud it useful. I did not try it 15x. Every now and then the car does not recognize the "tension" and i panic and take of AP and then reenable it. The stalk has been automatic.

This is useful to know.