Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Stalk to confirm you are paying attention while car is on Auto Pilot

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
You are doing it wrong if you think you need to "shake" the wheel. It just needs a slight bit of tension.
Just put one hand between 2-4 O'clock or 8-10 O'clock to keep it happy. Two hands in those positions often work too, but sometimes if it's perfectly balanced it might not sense it.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Bridor

Mar 20, 2016
Maricopa, Arizona
I actually tested this out thoroughly on a recent road trip. If I used the stalk 15 times in a row when the warning would pop up, it would dismiss the message. After that, the warning would pop up every three seconds until I put just a little tension on the steering wheel. This was on an autopilot 1 vehicle.

Brent

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
I actually tested this out thoroughly on a recent road trip. If I used the stalk 15 times in a row when the warning would pop up, it would dismiss the message. After that, the warning would pop up every three seconds until I put just a little tension on the steering wheel. This was on an autopilot 1 vehicle. Brent
AP stalk or turn signal stalk. How/direction is it being pushed? ie. if AP stalk do you go up 1 MPH and then down 1 MPH?

macd1995

Aug 13, 2015
United States
I pulled the AP stalk towards me once.
Exactly. I stumbled on it and i foud it useful. I did not try it 15x. Every now and then the car does not recognize the "tension" and i panic and take of AP and then reenable it. The stalk has been automatic.

The easier way is to tune the volume, up or down.
This is useful to know.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC