Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Superchargers for Local Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the majority of people live in places where they do not have a designated parking spot. They cannot charge at home, ever. Their next best chance is to convince their employer to install charging stations. That's a big challenge in most cases as well. Eventually we have to find a way to provide charging for the huge amount of people that want to drive an EV but don't have access to their own charger. Superchargers are not the solution.

The only BS here is your reply. There is already enough of a problem with locals hogging SC spots and since there isn't a good way for Tesla to stop that, even if they could why would they as it would be a sales discourager, then I don't want people who bought a car they couldn't charge at home to be taking up precious SC spaces.

Give me a break.

Home-less charging is not the reason chargers are clogged. They're clogged because there are a bunch of selfish people trying to steal a few cents of electricity. Tesla owners are affluent, and the vast majority of of affluent people [in the usa] have garages.

Your anger is so blind that you're focusing on the wrong people.

Ill say again: the more EVs on the road, the better. If that means one of us has to wait an extra 5 minutes for a charge twice a year because .1% of those people don't have home charging, tough. Put your big boy/girl pants on, or don't but a Tesla. I'm sure Mercedes would love to have you back.

This issue will really grow when then model 3 is out. I'm sure many buying it (whether SC is included or optional) will look to NEVER pay for their own electric much more than now with a bunch of wealthy owners of Model S.

This issue will really grow when then model 3 is out. I'm sure many buying it (whether SC is included or optional) will look to NEVER pay for their own electric much more than now with a bunch of wealthy owners of Model S.

Don't know if that will be completely true since many will be saving at least a thousand or 2 a year on not paying for gas. Of course there will be more than now since there will just be more Teslas in the road in general. Hmm. Wouldn't it be interesting if supercharging isn't free for Model 3... Just putting that out there...

I'm sure you've seen quite a few Prius drivers hypermiling - going 55 on the interstate to save $200 in gas / year vs driving the speed of traffic. When those drivers buy M3, using superchargers will be just like hypermiling for them. They'll make it their mission to save every penny no matter the inconvenience it causes others.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. Why would anyone do this!? I use L2s around town in my Volt simply because they aren't being used! BUT, I place a magnet next to the charge port to let folks know they can unplug me if absolutely necessary (and if I'm fully charged). I just don't see the reason to charge locally with a Tesla. How often are you really 100 miles from your house, unless you're on vacation!? Sorry - rant over.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you've seen quite a few Prius drivers hypermiling - going 55 on the interstate to save $200 in gas / year vs driving the speed of traffic.

Well, they better be in the slow/far right lane! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind, some people live in condos, townhouses and apartments that don't offer electrical to charge their cars. Not all workplaces have EV chargers either. I agree that Superchargers are meant from trip-charging, but for those that don't have at-home facilities, I'm sure they welcome a nearby SC.

Maybe they should have thought about where they were going to charge before they bought a MS . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Thats some total short sighted BS right there

The more EVs on the road, the better. Period.

I disagree. You can't just jump into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to tread water. For someone to be so absent minded to purchase an EV and not be able to charge it, they clearly have more money than brains.

Now, I agree that this issue of charging in condos is a MAJOR issue. In Florida a ton of our population is in some form of a condo and this whole issue of charging and who pays for it and how is a very real issue. This is an issue that should be worked out BEFORE the EV comes home from the dealer. And the absolute wrong answer would be to rely SOLELY on the local Superchargers for your juice.

All of the "in town" supercharger locations probably should have been "pay per use" locations. That would reduce the logjams, and still allow condo dwellers to own a Tesla. This would bring in more customers, and more revenue, while providing charging to people on road trips (without the wait). Locals who can actually refuel at home would opt to refuel at home, since there would be no free fuel at their "local" supercharging station.

In two years, when the Model 3 is on the road, the "in town" superchargers will be a disaster, if Tesla doesn't adopt my suggestion. There will be tens of thousands of Model 3s purchased for fleets (primarily used and charged locally (but not at home). Think taxis, Uber drivers, delivery vehicles, etc.

Personally, I'd want them to build superchargers 50+ miles away.

Indeed.

The Supercharger 125 miles to the North of me and the one 100 miles South of me have been far more useful than the two 30 and 40 miles away from me, respectively.

As for the subject of the thread, my stance is as I've posted in other similar discussions:

Superchargers are primarily intended to enable long distance travel, however using them may be acceptable if you can't reasonably provide for your daily charging needs.

Taking the family to Disneyworld? Fine.

Live in an apartment and there is simply no way to acquire home or workplace charging? Fine.

Running many medium-distance local trips in a day and need some charge to make an evening appointment? Fine.

Want to save the hassle and expense of installing a charger in your garage? Nope.

Want to avoid the few dollars a day in electricity to pay for your own daily travel needs? Negative.

I do wish Tesla would introduce the "Metrocharger" concept for Superchargers within dense population centers and explicitly discuss how they may be an advantage for EV adoption by those in apartment/condo dwellings.

Last edited:
I do wish Tesla would introduce the "Metrocharger" concept for Superchargers within dense population centers and explicitly discus how they may be an advantage for EV adoption by those in apartment/condo dwelling.

That's it! "Metro-charger". I like that term. A pay per use "supercharger", located in (and around) major cities. Tesla could even team with a strategic partner like Chargepoint or Blink (if necessary) to defray the capital expense. However, it really needs to happen before the Model 3 hits the road.

That's it! "Metro-charger". I like that term. A pay per use "supercharger", located in (and around) major cities. Tesla could even team with a strategic partner like Chargepoint or Blink (if necessary) to defray the capital expense. However, it really needs to happen before the Model 3 hits the road.

Let's allow the "pay as you charge" business model for the 3. That will put some of the burdon on their backs - and if they can charge locally (IE, at home for free) they will!

Let's allow the "pay as you charge" business model for the 3. That will put some of the burden on their backs - and if they can charge locally (IE, at home for free) they will!

Model 3 may have a priced option to buy into the supercharger network (~$2,000), just like it used to be for the MS 60. In my travels, I visited more than 55 superchargers. None were heavily used except for the one we visited in the San Diego metropolitan area. Lots of locals charging. They may (or may not) be able to charge at home. But if Tesla wants to sell more cars to folks living in multi-family housing, having (fee based) fast chargers in metropolitan areas would be a good investment.

I just looked at some of the fee based Level 2 Blink chargers. They charge $0.39 per kWh for paid members, and $0.49 per kWh for non-members. That's criminal. A rip-off. It costs me about $0.12 per kWh to charge at home.

As a point of interest, I make a pretty much weekly business trip to a neighboring city, where I stay over night, then return home on the next day (working 2 business days in the neighboring city). I use (or will use) the supercharger in that neighboring city. The place I stay at overnight is a condo with no charging option. Could this be considered local charging? I don't think so, since I don't live in that city, but I will be hitting the supercharger pretty much weekly, which is pretty heavy use. Perhaps an interesting scenario to ponder.

As a point of interest, I make a pretty much weekly business trip to a neighboring city, where I stay over night, then return home on the next day (working 2 business days in the neighboring city). I use (or will use) the supercharger in that neighboring city. The place I stay at overnight is a condo with no charging option. Could this be considered local charging? I don't think so, since I don't live in that city, but I will be hitting the supercharger pretty much weekly, which is pretty heavy use. Perhaps an interesting scenario to ponder.

If it's far enough that you are not sleeping at home, I guess it's a road trip.

In that scenario you are both driving some distance between cities, and it doesn't appear you can reasonably charge at that hotel otherwise.

I'd suggest it's a perfectly fine use of the supercharger. They are designed to remove the impediment to long distance travel.

Really?

So much for spreading the vision of increased ownership of BEVs.

For condo dwellers and similar, begin talking to the property managers about the possibility of installing chargers. If possible, offer to help financially or otherwise. Also, if possible, start looking at moving to other condos or apartments that already have charging support. Initially, you might get ignored. But eventually, when enough people are doing this, they will get the picture and charging support at apartment and condo complexes will start becoming normal.

Some places have only street parking. Those will be the last scenarios to be solved. Probably no solution for that for quite some time.