Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

using Tesla Card to restart driving after sitting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the great benefits of the Model 3 with entertainment mode is not having to go shopping with wife, thus avoiding finding a seat in store while wife does her thing.

Problem is when wife comes back to car, you can't just put the car in D and drive away. you have to take out your wallet out, find that damn Tesla card and place it on the console, otherwise your not able to start car.

This is an annoying inconvenience.

One of the great benefits of the Model 3 with entertainment mode is not having to go shopping with wife,
thus avoiding finding a seat in store while wife does her thing.

Problem is when wife comes back to car, you can't just put the car in D and drive away. you have to take out your wallet out,
find that damn Tesla card and place it on the console, otherwise your not able to start car.

Did you tried pressing on the brake pedal to restart the car?

I only use my phone, so as long the phone stays inside the car, opening and closing a door don't lock the car.

The car might goes in sleep mode, I mean the auxillary 12 V and the screen display turn off, but pressing on the brake pedal restart the car.

One of the great benefits of the Model 3 with entertainment mode is not having to go shopping with wife, thus avoiding finding a seat in store while wife does her thing.

Problem is when wife comes back to car, you can't just put the car in D and drive away. you have to take out your wallet out, find that damn Tesla card and place it on the console, otherwise your not able to start car.

Not the way it works for me. Press the brake and good to go. Phone never leaves my pocket. I never use the card. Maybe used it once 5 months ago to show someone how it works

2019-12-10_9-42-27.png
Thanks for the responses! looks like I have to get Tesla to get this checked out.

My Model 3 remains in P. I can't put car in D, no matter how many times I step on the brake.

This doesn’t happen with the phone but does with the key card. I played with this the other day and also found that it times out after awhile. I can’t remember the time but it’s in the manual. Makes sense to me from a security point of view since it can’t sense the card is present like the phone.