Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using tesla hpwc (gen2) to charge other EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used their tesla wall charger (hpwc gen 2) to charge other EVs with an adaptor?

We're considering an outlander PHEV to go along with the model 3. It would be nice to be able to use the same charger. Googling is suggesting both "yes it works fine with an adapter" and "no I can't get it to work". Anyone have specific NZ experience?

I've seen photo's and comments in plug share of EV's with CCS2 using Mitre 10 mega Tesla destination charges
New Lynn and Albany. I'm not sure if Tesla has done anything about this.

So I guess it maybe possible to use HPWC Gen2 for none Tesla, if EV's with CCS2 can use Tesla destination chargers
Can you take the PHEV on an overnight test drive and see if it charges at home

Yeah I considered that, but I think they're all type1, so would need to buy/borrow an adapter to even test it. Not to mention that it seems like there are differences in the charge port configuration between the nz-new and japanese outlanders.

If you have the 3-phase Wall Connector, it should work if you set the DIP switch Position 2 in the Down (Legacy) position. Getting the proper adapter for tethered Type 2 plug to Type 1 plug is another matter. A standard Type 2 to Type 1 cable that is designed to be used with a socketed station will not work.

Current Wall Connector manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ll-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v1.pdf

I have a copy of an older version of the manual which shows the following regarding the DIP switch.

Wall Connector 3ph P18.jpg