Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the dashcam button 'removed' the incident from records

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, new here and glad to see a healthy forum developed around this brand.

I've had my 2020 model 3, Dual Motor long range for just about 2 weeks. Last week I had a guy pull a left-hand turn from the right lane (of 4) and nearly cause an accident. I wanted to save the moment by tapping the dashcam button (as I understand this is the method of doing so) but that seems to have had the opposite effect.

Back at the office, I immediately pull the usb drive to inspect the footage only to find that the exact moment of the incident is missing. I have many minutes before, many minutes after, but the actual wild behavior is just nowhere to be found.

Doing a search I found one other individual that actually had an accident and that footage was missing, but no elaboration on whether the safe function was attempted. Anyone else see this? Maybe it's documented and I've just not yet come across it?

Thanks!

If you hit the save button while the minute clip of interest is being recorded, this clip can be corrupted during the save function. I think you want to wait a few minutes before saving.

Yup.

When you hit save it'll save the last 10 minutes of footage- so you want to wait until you're sure the minute or two you actually need is DONE being written to the drive before hitting the button.

Sorry you guys lost your video. Waiting a minute or two (to be extra safe) after the incident before pausing has been discussed on the forum. TelsaCam records in 1-minute increments and you never really know where in the minute it is recording to the media. It needs to safely shut down or you chance having that minute corrupted.

BTW I have read on here that some people were able to recover footage. Not certain of the situation and unfortunately can't say what program they used but you might try searching for "Sentry" "recovery". Otherwise look into a Data Recovery tool. Maybe someone who has used one successfully can chime in if they see this.

I'll also add you want to Save the video first then Pause the recording before removing the drive (directions for each step in the manual). When Pausing, you will notice the screen emit a kind of digital wave that will emit a short distance from the camera icon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. That must be what took place, corrupted during save. I have some powerful data recovery software so will attempt to recover the video files - see if it is something that can be done. It's not actually important as I didn't have a collision, just to provide a data point for recovery options. Going forward I'll just keep in mind I need to wait a few minutes after the incident before saving.