Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the granny charger just to open the charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Watching a youtube video about someone charging from the granny plug, I didn’t realise it has the little button like superchargers that opens your charge port. Which got me thinking - is it possible to use that somehow just to unlock it? I have a zappi on the wall with no button

how much power is needed for that button to do its thing? Could you hack something together with a portable battery pack to use without being plugged in? And if you could get it working, would it also unlock the charge cable at the end of a session if it’s not plugged in? (Ie a different charge cable from a dedicated EV charger on the wall)

Or press the lower part of the charge port door - although mine was a bit temperamental recently

tbh, the main use for the 'Tesla button' is to stop and release the charge cable at end of a charge. For that, you can get a third party cable or modification.

1618860247540.png

Just did a check with my M3LR and the Tesla keyfob.
I have a Tesla wall charger but tried just using a long-press on the 'boot button' on the keyfob to open the charge port - worked.
Plugged the charge cable in and the charge signal colour went blue - couldn't pull the charge cable out.
Long-press the keyfob 'boot button' again and the charge signal colour went white and the charge cable could be pulled out.
So, should work with any charge cable.

Expensive at £140 but well worth it for a very useful remote.

Reactions: Bantam and Mrklaw
I've found pressing the bottom of the door to open it unreliable. Car isn't usually unlocked until you pull one of the door handles, and if the phone isn't in the right pocket, the car doesn't always detect it, often takes several jabs before opening during which time it would have been quicker to open the app. I wish they'd supplied a type 2 cable with a button and not that but ugly blue thing!

Reactions: Jez_GB
I've found pressing the bottom of the door to open it unreliable. Car isn't usually unlocked until you pull one of the door handles, and if the phone isn't in the right pocket, the car doesn't always detect it, often takes several jabs before opening during which time it would have been quicker to open the app. I wish they'd supplied a type 2 cable with a button and not that but ugly blue thing!

The car has to be in the same state when using the 'Tesla button' and often takes a couple of presses before car awoken enough to respond to the button.

I don't have a Tesla wall connector so I used a combination of apps to repurpose a button on my phone to do the same thing.

Double tap the button to wake/unlock the charge port.

It works veryy well and I'm sure you could achieve the same thing with a phone shortcut or RFID tag.

I've never got the press on the charge port to open, unless the car is fully unlocked? I never have an issue with phone position, you can open all the doors with my phone a good few meters from the car. I just assumed it didn't work, and even more annoyingly it doesn't count opening the boot as unlocking, so you'd open the boot, get the cable out, then walk over to a door and open that. If I've got the cable in the frunk, I can open the frunk from in the car before I get out, run round to the front and grab the cable, but then you've only got seconds to make it to the charge port before the doors lock and I have to open a rear door before pressing the charge port, and if you open the charge port before you get out you make it to the back with the lead just in time to watch it close the port and fold the mirrors in, like it's laughing at you ........

This company sells Type 2 cables with the Tesla charger button in them Charging cable with Tesla command button - evChargeking

They used to have a kit that was just the button itself if you had a tethered third party charger but I can't find it on a cursory glance at their site.
Various different connector kits here. Tesla Do It Yourself connector kit. - evChargeking
I’ve ordered a couple of different ones to add the button to my existing EVSEs. We’ll see how it goes!

Various different connector kits here. Tesla Do It Yourself connector kit. - evChargeking
I’ve ordered a couple of different ones to add the button to my existing EVSEs. We’ll see how it goes!
So far, so not impressed with evChargeKing! The items I ordered were shown as immediate delivery, however over a week later I’ve had no update (though they did take their money straight away, ofc). I chased them up and they claimed there was a notice on their site stating they were awaiting parts (despite their order page and my order confirmation stating immediate dispatch). I challenged them and they’ve said they’ll try and get the parts shipped out today. We shall see… :rolleyes: