Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the Model S at a parking garage or valet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will mostly be keeping my upcoming Model S at a parking garage here in NYC. Like most garages, they keep the car keys hanging in the office. The garage is very kindly offering me an assigned space with an 110v outlet (I usually only drive the car on weekends so charging time shouldn't be a problem). However - if the spot I get is close to the office, it seems like anyone will be able to get into my car and drive away, any time, with our without the keyfob on their person.

Correct? That seems like a major, major issue.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, is there anything else I need to think about with regards to this situation - ie, is the car always "on" in some form when the keyfob is in range, or is it in the same state whether the fob is in range or not?

Seriously, that's the best solution? I have to say I think this functionality wasn't entirely thought out. What about, say, if the keys are in the house, and the car close by in the driveway? Can't someone just walk up and drive away with it? Or my child open the door and get in and do something worse? There has to be a Tesla-sanctioned workaround, something other than tin foil. And if there isn't, that's pretty outrageous.

I'm not sure if the issue qualifies for outrage. A few people have run into problems when keeping the fob, at what I assume is,really close to the car. My keys stay on my kitchen counter or in a drawer about 50 ft away from the car. My door handles retract and car locks when I stand on my side porch about 20 ft from the car. My kids stand next to the car and wait for me to unlock it while I have stood about 20 ft away.

As an initial matter, you can shut off the door handles from auto-presenting, so that it requires someone to touch the door handle to open the door.

Beyond that, your best bet is to get a case of some kind to put the key into so that it doesn't transmit the signal to the car. That sounds like a pain, but it's a somewhat unusual problem where the key has to be within 10-20' of the car.

I keep my fob in the kitchen about 20 feet from the Model S, and the car doors are always locked when I've gone out to the garage without it.

By the way, there's a related thread here that talks about the problem of being able to drive the car when the fob is nearby, but not in the car.

Last edited:
As an initial matter, you can shut off the door handles from auto-presenting, so that it requires someone to touch the door handle to open the door.

That'll still deplete the fob/12v batteries if the fob is within range.

Since I don't have my car yet can anyone tell me about how far is "far enough" away? I typically keep my keys in my kitchen and the garage is attached to it. Would that likely work? Thanks!

Should be no problem but it's very easy to test. Put your key in it's regular spot in your kitchen and go tap the car door handle. If the door opens it senses the fob and you're too close.

Explain to me how any of this is superior to the way a normal key works?

I love the (idea of) the car, my model S arrives in just over a week, but this is one of things I'm not that excited about.

Would a workaround for my situation - if indeed it's an issue, sounds like it might not be since it's not quite as sensitive as I'd heard - but if it is a problem, could I simply remove the battery from the fob? And use the fob by putting it in the special place that allows the car to start even when the fob battery is dead (location of which I currently forget)? Or is that too unreliable or inconvenient to be a full-time thing?

I love the (idea of) the car, my model S arrives in just over a week, but this is one of things I'm not that excited about.

Would a workaround for my situation - if indeed it's an issue, sounds like it might not be since it's not quite as sensitive as I'd heard - but if it is a problem, could I simply remove the battery from the fob? And use the fob by putting it in the special place that allows the car to start even when the fob battery is dead (location of which I currently forget)? Or is that too unreliable or inconvenient to be a full-time thing?
Sometimes it's necessary to put up with some inconveniences and loss of functionality in order to enjoy the benefits of technological advances.

I love it. Never even have to take the keys out of my pocket anymore. You have to train yourself to keep your key with you and not leave in the car or next to the car but doesn't take long.

I've parked at several NYC garages without any issues. Given you will have a monthly pass I'm sure you can just check once parked that the doors are locked. Also, lock via the mobile app should alleviate the issue.

My biggest issue with NYC garages is more I've moved my company downtown and now I can't find a place to park nearby (West Broad and Broome) with a plug!.

I specifically asked about using the fob with a dead battery on the windshield just last week because when I took delivery I had them test this by removing the battery, placing the fob in the correct location and it did not work. The reply I got from Walter Franck, ace Tesla rep, was that this will not work without a battery in your fob. It will work with a low battery at about the time you get a message somewhere on your screen that your fob battery is low and therefore needs replacement.