TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using the Nav to get to the SoDo Service Center - Not a good idea?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ibdb, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Was I just lucky?

1. I've seen that, too.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It said what?!?!?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

Had our 1 year service appointment today. Plugged the Seattle Service Center into the Nav (it did pull up the correct address) and began our trek northward. The route was bizarre from the very start, but only got more and more nonsensical as we got closer to our destination. The Nav kept insisting that I get off of I-5 and take 405 to I-90. It kept insisting that I-90 was the preferred approach, and that I should head for I-90 east until I could take a U-turn and take I-90 back west again, right up until I hit the light at 6th and Brougham, which you might recognize as exactly where the service center is.

Capture.JPG

As we sat at the light, the Nav wanted me to take a 13+ mile route, during morning rush hour traffic, to get across the street.

Tesla's suggestion was to turn off the traffic aware routing and see if that fixed things. What I want to know is if anyone else has had that kind of routing when approaching the SoDo Service center from parts south of the I-5/I-405 split in Tukwila? It might not even need to be that far south, given how close we were and still got those directions.

2. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

SoDo is South Dakota?

• Funny x 1
  3. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

In Seattle, the SoDo area is South of Downtown. I thought that folks in the "Northwest" group here on the forum would recognize that and immediately know the area I'm referring to. It's also what it's called in Google Maps.

• Like x 1
  4. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

SoDo MoJo

(and I've always thought South of the Dome, being my SoDo experiences began 2001 with Safeco south of the Kingdome site - but knew that phrase was around when the kingdome was still standing... duh)

5. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

As a newbie, not totally impressed with the Google/Tesla navigation system. I reported an issue where it wanted me to use a street that had been closed down for the past 3 years for Light Rail construction.

6. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

...and LA is not only Lower Alabama but also a city in California.

Nav does some weird things. Here in Northern Virginia, when going to Dulles (IAD) the route often takes you around to the back side of the airport. Then down a single lane service road that ends in a locked chain linked gate! I took it once just to see if it was a shortcut.

Additionally, it would be nice to have options that can be set such as toll/no toll roads and shortest distance/ shortest drive time before you depart. Although the last can almost be set when you exercise the option to reroute if delay takes more than XX minutes. This has saved me numerous times as I have it set for 15 minutes in our almost constant rush hours.

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

That's normal for the Tesla Nav system. Have you turned off Traffic Based Routing under Settings/Apps/Maps and Navigation? It helps a little but they really need to overhaul the app.

8. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Would this allow me to avoid toll roads?

9. msnow

msnow Active Member

I don't think so. Tesla's Nav unfortunately doesn't have options like that, route choice, waypoints and such. Maybe in the future and with OTA all things are possible

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

As confusing as one of your Norther Virginia compatriots who has "NoVa" as where they're from. Initially I thought they were from Nova Scotia! :rolleyes::p;)

11. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

12. msnow

msnow Active Member

13. taldric

taldric Member

To answer the original post... Yes, I have seen the exact same issue with routing to the service center, or other addresses in that area. The Nav in the Tesla is totally crazy when it comes to that area. I don't know why. I had to shut it down and use my iPhone instead.

• Helpful x 1
  14. ModelX

ModelX Member

Had the same problem with the Lexus navigation when we were heading over for delivery of the Tesla

15. msnow

msnow Active Member

I have never had one issue with our 6 year old Lexus. None, zero, zip. I could trust it to get us from point A to B and I had route choices, waypoints and traffic notifications. That's 6-8 year old technology. Really hope 8.0 gets here soon.