Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found and ordered.

I tried to locate the connector under the screen but can't remove the cubby since I have center console installed. It cracks open but moves only an inch at the most. Loocked with flash light but no cable with connector visible. Is there any other way to access it?

I haven't done it yet but I think you can pull the cubby towards you somehow and get it out. The cable is under it.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 7.51.51 AM.png

Do not remove the cubby. Simply release the two clips on the front end and you should be able to fish out the connector.

OK just went to the garage, pulled down very firmly about 1 inch from the front edge on both sides, clips unclipped, I could pull the cubby out no problem, found the 2 diag connectors, put the blue one on the passenger side in the corner, replaced cubby and clipped the clips. All in about 1 minute. And I do have the entire console under it.

Cable received, plugged in my 4 year old ELM327 wi-fi device and was up and running. I might need the LELink adapter that everybody mentions but for now, it seems to be functioning correctly. I do have a couple questions, observations:

- App crashes just after start sometimes. I connect to OBD device, start scanning and crash. Reload and everything is fine. Then I try to connect agin, crash. Restart and it's fine. Not sure what I can provide, but if you let me know, happy to provide logs, etc.
- My SoC according to the cluster gauge is 23%. TM-Spy reports 27.3%. What's the delta?
- My battery seems fairly well balanced with min/avg/max = 3.531 3.536 3.538 (7 mV). Is it though? What's the ideal (beyond a flat line obviously)? What are others seeing in terms of mV difference between modules?

IMG_1402.PNG IMG_1403.JPG

- My SoC according to the cluster gauge is 23%. TM-Spy reports 27.3%. What's the delta?
- My battery seems fairly well balanced with min/avg/max = 3.531 3.536 3.538 (7 mV). Is it though? What's the ideal (beyond a flat line obviously)? What are others seeing in terms of mV difference between modules?

The delta is that TM-Spy reports SoC using true zero as 0%, while the dash shows SoC using the top of the below 0 rated miles buffer as 0%. The buffer is about 3.8 kWh. See my post here for a screenshot of TM-Spy when the dash is showing 0%.

The pack balance of 7 mV at that SoC looks good. At 75-80% SoC, look for a 4 mV spread (sometimes I even get 3 mV). As your SoC declines, the spread will get larger.

• Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal
The delta is that TM-Spy reports SoC using true zero as 0%, while the dash shows SoC using the top of the below 0 rated miles buffer as 0%. The buffer is about 3.8 kWh. See my post here for a screenshot of TM-Spy when the dash is showing 0%.

The pack balance of 7 mV at that SoC looks good. At 75-80% SoC, look for a 4 mV spread (sometimes I even get 3 mV). As your SoC declines, the spread will get larger.

Thank you, Sir, much appreciated!

View attachment 235753 View attachment 235754

Delta is not the bricking buffer. Those nominal remaining energies reported already account for the bricking protection. There was a thread where @wk057 responded to me and explained the difference clearly. I will see if I can find his post.

LOL. It was just a couple pages back in this very same thread:

Tesla has changed the meaning of 0x302 at some point.

What used to be "socUI" is now "packSOE". I'm reasonably certain it now is more of the raw pack energy level, which would explain the UI vs CAN discrepancy. Internally this value is now described as follows: "BMS State Of Energy (SOE). This is nominal discharge energy from present state / nominal discharge energy from full."

Thus, TM Spy is not indicating the bricking protection in the SOC as this has already been subtracted by the BMS.

• Informative
The delta is that TM-Spy reports SoC using true zero as 0%, while the dash shows SoC using the top of the below 0 rated miles buffer as 0%. The buffer is about 3.8 kWh.

Delta is not the bricking buffer. Those nominal remaining energies reported already account for the bricking protection.

@apacheguy I agree with you, but I can't tell if you agree or disagree with me. Maybe just a question of semantics. When I say true zero, I mean the predicted point of forced shutdown, not zero volts or complete discharge.

Last edited:
Reactions: apacheguy
Finally got tm-spy setup. Very cool :)

Now I just need to learn how to use it!

Some initial shots from my S75D:
IMG_8255.PNG

I get pretty frequent disconnects/reconnects with my LELink BT adapter... (bottom right goes green, yellow, orange a lot). Is this normal? Also seem to have about 19% bad frames...

Update for current Model X's: Got the cable from Panjo, and the LELink, and the beta software, and everything works excellently. The only issue is when I pull down the cubby, the retaining clips from the top 'ceiling' come with it. In current X's at least, it's trivial to pull out the whole cubby, there are no clips on the rear, just two tabs that go into slots, so it's easy to get it out and examine and work on the problem.

But, it took me some finagling (technical term!) to remove the clips from the top of the cubby (since they have really good barbs holding them in place), and then it was easy to pop them back into the top surface and snap the cubby's tabs back in. If they aren't meant to be removed from the cubby tabs, they sure don't seem to snap back into the 'ceiling' without being removed first....

Is there a better way to use perhaps other clips that are more prone to being reused and not come out with every 'removal'? I'd hate to do this every time I want to use the data cable!

Update for current Model X's: Got the cable from Panjo, and the LELink, and the beta software, and everything works excellently. The only issue is when I pull down the cubby, the retaining clips from the top 'ceiling' come with it. In current X's at least, it's trivial to pull out the whole cubby, there are no clips on the rear, just two tabs that go into slots, so it's easy to get it out and examine and work on the problem.

But, it took me some finagling (technical term!) to remove the clips from the top of the cubby (since they have really good barbs holding them in place), and then it was easy to pop them back into the top surface and snap the cubby's tabs back in. If they aren't meant to be removed from the cubby tabs, they sure don't seem to snap back into the 'ceiling' without being removed first....

Is there a better way to use perhaps other clips that are more prone to being reused and not come out with every 'removal'? I'd hate to do this every time I want to use the data cable!
I have S but if the clips are same type /metal one over the plastic tab/ they don't have to go off the tabs. Just leave them in place. They are reusable.

I have S but if the clips are same type /metal one over the plastic tab/ they don't have to go off the tabs. Just leave them in place. They are reusable.
Hm.. when I removed the cubby ('hinged' it down), it wouldn't snap back up at all until I'd removed the clips, and pushed them back into the 'ceiling' and then pushed the cubby back up into the clips.

The clips are really supposed to be on the plastic tabs permanently? I can try it again, but I got no sense of 'snapping in and out' with the clips on the cubby side of things.