Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this going, thanks Jim.

Using BT LELink.

First time plugging in, was amazed how fast adapter sync'd. Much better than BT pairing nonsense. No data was exchanged with TM-spy 0.01 with app halted at "connected 20" in green at bottom right. 1 dropped frame from 2497.

Exiting app and restarting resulted in data being captured for battery and connecting cycling from 1-26/27.

Buglet: connected to old Dropbox account by mistake and cannot reset. I had stupidly backed up the settings after doing this, do restoring does not address. Can you add a "reset to default" in the settings please? ;-)

Resolution / orientation all looks good. I'd like to upload some screens, though this new forum sw appears to have taken the simple and make it too complex... 3 media albums created by me, though none accessible by me :-(
I think you will need to uninstall and re-install TM-Spy to reset Dropbox. TM-Spy just tries to open a connection. What happens next is unknown to TM-Spy.

Over 6 hours and version 0.0.2 is still in the "Processing" stage.

Ok, sorry, but I am iOS dumb ... what iTunes, where?
My iOS device is the iPad ... plugged in ... to what, a PC's USB port?
The iPad is the only iOS device that I have.
Is there no way to access these files using the iPad?

Oops, in post 18 above, I said Apple Cloud, and I should have said Dropbox.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Gary

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: pilotSteve
iTunes is Apple's program for the PC/Mac that connects through USB. First thing would be to install iTunes on your PC. When you plug the USB cable in iTunes will automatically startup. When detected you will see a small icon on the line below where "File Edit View Controls..." are listed. Put your mouse over it and it should show your iPad name. Click it to get to the next screen. From there follow my previous directions.

Apple is big on security. As far as I know no app can access another apps folder. So there is no Folder Manger app like on Android. Which leaves only iTunes.

Last edited:
I think that apps can share files with the user.

So, the app could put/use the files from/in a directory that the
app can share with the user? Then, another computer would
not be needed to edit the Recipe files while in the car.

I sent an email to tmspy1 with a link to some iOS app/directory info.

Maybe someone else out there has experience with iOS apps that
must share files with the user, like a word processor perhaps.

I think you will need to uninstall and re-install TM-Spy to reset Dropbox. TM-Spy just tries to open a connection. What happens next is unknown to TM-Spy.

Over 6 hours and version 0.0.2 is still in the "Processing" stage.
Thanks. Un/re-install worked.

Away from so can't test data capture right now.

Couple of things I noticed:
1) emulation doesn't work, though some data on cells displayed it is not animating nor recorded
2) drop box folders are created in both root of do share *and* under apps/TM-Spy directories.

Looking forward to .02/3 :)

Thanks, Mike

Thanks. Un/re-install worked.

Away from so can't test data capture right now.

Couple of things I noticed:
1) emulation doesn't work, though some data on cells displayed it is not animating nor recorded
2) drop box folders are created in both root of do share *and* under apps/TM-Spy directories.

Looking forward to .02/3 :)

Thanks, Mike
Next version will be 0.0.3.

1) Emulation does not work as it was design for Bluetooth/WiFi and does not work with Bluetooth 4.0 LE. I did not think of this when I added that option under Debug.
2) That would be a Dropbox issue/fearue as TM-Spy just creates sub-folders (like /Frames or /Graphs) anything else is done up at your Dropbox.

Some bad news. My last three attempts to upload a new build to iTunes have failed in their "import" step. I have never seen this error from iTunes before having uploaded builds to iTunes for over a year now.

If this is an iTunes bug it will probably be a few days before they fix it and I will just need to keep trying to upload new builds increasing the version number each time. Version 0.0.2 through 0.0.4 have all failed after being stuck in Apple's "Processing" step for many hours and all they report is "There was an error importing this build." with no other information.

(this forum is really slow today)

Seems to be an Apple problem as there are reports of other developers having the same problem.

Last edited:
Version 0.0.6 is waiting for Apple's review which should happen Monday morning. Version 0.0.5 is dead replaced with this one.

Version 0.0.6 now includes the new and improved graphing screen. However, the ability to take a trace has not been enabled so I have include an "Insane" mode run X_ file which you can load to try out the zoom in/out and scroll functions.

You can also copy over any Android TM-Spy "X_" files for viewing on this new screen or someone who has an interesting one could post it for others to try out. You will need to use iTunes to place any 'X_" files on the TM-Spy shared folder.

I will be having some visitors from out of the country stopping by tomorrow and staying through Wednesday so this may be the last update until then.

Version 0.0.7, when released, will allow you to download files to TM-Spy's documents folder without the need for iTunes. All that is needed is a DropBox.

When TM-Spy starts it will create a special folder in Dropbox named "/Copy To TM-Spy" if it does not already exist. Any files you place in that folder will be copied to TM-Spy's document folder. This feature can be used to more easily copy custom spyvarparlist.csv files or X_ frame files onto your iOS device without the need for a USB cable and iTunes

You can also create the files on the iOS device and copy them to your Dropbox which will then copy them to TM-Spy.

The copy happens once each time you start or switch to TM-Spy. So if TM-Spy is running and you place a new file in the folder just press the Home button then return to TM-Spy and all files in the folder will be copied down again including any new or updated ones.

Once a file has been downloaded it is best to remove if from the /Copy To TM-Spy folder to avoid needless copying each time TM-Spy is started/switched to.

Turbo3,
This very nice development for iOS TM-Spy continues while your guests are sleeping?

Now, I will go sign up for Dropbox. Is there a function in the app Settings to Clear the "Copy to TM-Spy" folder, and another to Copy the existing Recipe and X_ files from the app to Dropbox, if the folder is empty?

Was there a significant reason, other than that you already had Dropbox supported in the app, to use Dropbox instead of iCloud?

Not complaining, just curious about the merits and weaknesses of each.

Thanks a bunch for the new feature.
Cheers, Gary

So, a Ludicrous launch, ... more powerful than Insane, Power, Hotshot, Smooth, or Wimp, I guess. Thanks. Good progress. Looking at v0.0.6 now, with an iPad 3.

There is a stray "switch" that is unlabeled in Settings for Graphs.

The ELM Trace on next Start ... says still LeafSpy.

The graph redraw seems to occur a noticeable time after an expand tap.

After a scroll swipe, the graph seems to redraw once moved somewhat,
and a second time after a noticable pause, in the final position.

Last edited:
image.png
Got my LE dongle today and version 0.0.6.
All worked flawlessly.