Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the current state of the Trip Computer custom screen. The gauge now displays both the instantaneous efficiency and the Trip average. To my surprise the Trip average matches very closely to the center display value after this short test drive. The value will jump around since TM-Spy only has access to the energy changes in 100 Wh steps.
View attachment 479435 View attachment 479436

Does it track "current trip" kWh usage, as well as "since last charge"? Is all that information available? My understanding is that the car does not display usage when the car is not moving, but maybe this CAN data includes all usage.

This is a user controlled Trip computer function. There was no mention of since last charge.

The usage is you get in your Tesla, select the Trip custom screen and put the Tesla in Drive. At that point the CAN bus starts sending data which TM-Spy is monitoring. When TM-Spy detects all the data defined by the Trip custom screen the START button will appear. You press the START button to start a Trip.

As you drive you will see your instantaneous efficiency and after you drive a short distance the average efficiency is displayed. These are all calculated by data received from the CAN bus (speed,distance,energy). The limited testing I have done on my Model 3 seems to show a good correlation with the efficiency value displayed by Tesla for the current Trip.

I will probably add a save feature which might be automatic to a csv file after you press STOP.

You don't necessarily need to stay on the Trip custom screen while you drive but you need to be on the Trip custom screen to start a trip and to end it. If you are switching back to the Trip screen you should wait a few seconds before pressing STOP to be sure all the energy and distance values have be refreshed with the latest values from the CAN bus.

The LeafSpy Trip equivalent function works automatically with the only input from the user being waiting a few seconds after the Leaf has been turned off to allow detection of this state. TM-Spy works a different way from the LeafSpy making an automatic function more difficult to implement. If I find a compatible way to make this more automatic I will add it at a later date.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
Here is the current state of the Trip Computer custom screen. The gauge now displays both the instantaneous efficiency and the Trip average. To my surprise the Trip average matches very closely to the center display value after this short test drive. The value will jump around since TM-Spy only has access to the energy changes in 100 Wh steps.
@Turbo3 how we can create custom screens? you have template to see what can we do? I interested to read 96 cell voltage values in M3.

wow, can be download cvs file?

@Turbo3 A question:

If I want to get battery cell voltages in the Model 3, is that ok?:

Var Name v2.00,A,m,s,B,m,s,Min,Max,2's,Scale,Z,?,C,m,=,Msg id,D,m,s,E,m,s
PT:M3 cell 1:Volts:V,3,0xFF,0,4,0xFF,8,0,5,0,0.0001,0,0,1,0xFF,0x00,0x401,0,0,0,0,0,0

Where msgid are 0x401
byte 1: index (from 0x00 to 0x1F) 32 group of 3 cell values, then 0x00 are cell1, cell2 and cell3 voltage value
byte 2: status flag
bytes 3-4: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor
bytes 5-6: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor
bytes 7-8: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor

Yust add this 96 lines at botton of spyvarparmlist_.csv file?

@Turbo3 A question:

If I want to get battery cell voltages in the Model 3, is that ok?:

Var Name v2.00,A,m,s,B,m,s,Min,Max,2's,Scale,Z,?,C,m,=,Msg id,D,m,s,E,m,s
PT:M3 cell 1:Volts:V,3,0xFF,0,4,0xFF,8,0,5,0,0.0001,0,0,1,0xFF,0x00,0x401,0,0,0,0,0,0

Where msgid are 0x401
byte 1: index (from 0x00 to 0x1F) 32 group of 3 cell values, then 0x00 are cell1, cell2 and cell3 voltage value
byte 2: status flag
bytes 3-4: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor
bytes 5-6: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor
bytes 7-8: cell voltage value 0.0001 factor

Yust add this 96 lines at botton of spyvarparmlist_.csv file?
That message (0x401) is on a different CAN bus than the one we are currently monitoring.

Are you tapping into that other CAN bus?

Details on creating a custom screen are in the Built-in help or you can request a PDF copy of it. At this point the help is not completely updated but the Custom screen section is complete for the current test version. If you have a PC running iTunes you can extract the current sample custom screens to use as a starting point. You can also request a zip file of all the current custom screens.

Last edited:
Version 0.6.64.1 is now available for testing.

- Added a Trip custom screen (only landscape). Auto starts when speed goes over 5 MPH. Press STOP at end of trip to save data to a csv file.

- On the Trip screen both the instantaneous and average efficiency values are displayed. Average does not display until after a mile has been driven.

- Added Trip log viewer. Pressing menu on screen 1 adds a "View Trip Log" option on the left edge. If no trip log has been created the option is grayed out.

- Added Auto Model detection function which can be disabled in Settings/Options. If you have both a Model 3 and Model S/X app should automatically detect which you are connected to.

- If Dropbox is enabled, Custom screens are now uploaded to two new folders "Custom Screen/Model 3" and "Custom Screen/Model SX". These files can be used as templates to create your own custom screens. Place your custom screens in the "Copy To TM" folder to have them downloaded back to TM-Spy.

Yeah that's correct. The default cable length is 1m so it's a bit difficult to stow the whole stuff inside the under cubby space. I was able to by putting the OBD2 transmitter into the deepest part of the space then carefully fold flat cables two times and stow them below.

You could order shorter cable but it didn't work in my case - he just sent me a 1m cable.

Another thing to note is that there is another app called Scan My Tesla and it requires Bluetooth adapter with traditional protocol - to your LELink can only speak BTLE protocol so it won't work with Scan My Tesla.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D497PVF/
I'm using this adapter whose review doesn't seem to be great... this worked for both apps though. I purchased LELink 2 and it worked with TM-Spy perfectly but not Scan My Tesla. I also purchased OBDLink LX and though it worked with both apps, after a few days it stops to communicate and I had to take the cable out and power off-on to resume. So I don't recommend OBDLink LX for now.
Dear, are you sure working with Scan my tesla??, it seems scan my tesla can not connect trough wifi, only bluetooh and this amazon device seems not have bluettooh. Thanks for you help..

Would it be possible to add the battery cell temperatures to the custom screen variables list, so we can use them in custom screens? Or at least an average value of them?

I am using it to create a custom screen with info, which is relevant for supercharging prep of the battery on s/x; i.e. temperature of the cells and the battery heater. Currently I'm using "Battery Inlet", but that reports a few C above the temperatures reported in the battery graph (actual cell temperatures).

Just wanted to say that I purchased the Carista ODB LE and have this working great! Happy to see some of the stats about my car such as the low number of supercharger hours vs AC charging (bought used low mileage P85D). Is there any documentation anywhere that describes in more detail what all the attributes mean? Some are self explanatory but some could use some explanation to remove the guesswork (e.g. is ThrmCtrl 400 the number of Kw the battery heater is consuming?).

I just tried TM-Spy for the first time. I purchased a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBDII Diagnostic dongle and ODB cable from a friendly TMC member. TM-Spy worked right away, just had to give it access to Bluetooth and it started showing the data. I was kinda worried about getting a cheap dongle, but so far no issues. The statistics section in the TM-Spy settings aways show 0 frames though.. I was hoping this would give me some indication about the dongle quality.

I see the following values:

DC Chrg Tot 1,011 kWh
AC Chrg Tot 8,014 kWh
Charge Tot 10,854 kWh

DC + AC does not add up to the total. Is that expected?

Currently I am able to use the Custom Screens (loaded all 6) and graphs. The manual also mentions a Battery Status screen. How do I get this?

Reactions: Leeboy22001
I just tried TM-Spy for the first time. I purchased a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBDII Diagnostic dongle and ODB cable from a friendly TMC member. TM-Spy worked right away, just had to give it access to Bluetooth and it started showing the data. I was kinda worried about getting a cheap dongle, but so far no issues. The statistics section in the TM-Spy settings aways show 0 frames though.. I was hoping this would give me some indication about the dongle quality.

I see the following values:

DC Chrg Tot 1,011 kWh
AC Chrg Tot 8,014 kWh
Charge Tot 10,854 kWh

DC + AC does not add up to the total. Is that expected?

Currently I am able to use the Custom Screens (loaded all 6) and graphs. The manual also mentions a Battery Status screen. How do I get this?

It wont add up because you also have Regen charging ;)

Also - I get 75-100 frames per second with the Carista dongle.